Under the direction of the Career Path Programs Manager, the Career Navigator creates individualized goal plans that place clients on a path to self-sufficiency and advancement toward education, job training, employment and/or financial goals. Through 1:1 career coaching and small group workshops, the coach supports clients from diverse backgrounds, many of whom face one or more significant barriers to employment, in their efforts to connect with education, job training, and employment with an end goal of financial independence. Successful candidates must have exceptional interpersonal and communication skills, experience working with clients from diverse backgrounds facing multiple barriers, strong time management capabilities, a proven ability to teach job search and application skills, an attention to detail, and outstanding record keeping skills, as well as a strong commitment to the JVS and CPP program mission and goals. This position is currently a hybrid role with 1-2 days each week requiring in person services and team collaboration at our main office in downtown Boston as well as possible co-location at partner site(s). The other days each week can be worked remotely.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Accountability and Results Focused:
- Conduct 1:1 meetings with clients assessing needs through interview, observation, and examination of information.
- Create individualized plans to ensure that each client has a clear path to achieving their education and employment goals while also complying with funder requirements, as necessary.
- Assist clients in goal setting and identifying services leading to education, job training, skills upgrades, and employment.
- Connect with clients regularly to support successful implementation of their plan and provide regular reporting based on funder requirements.
- Understand and apply knowledge of internet resources for employment and training opportunities.
- Establish, track and meet program dashboard indicators using database software.
- Facilitate Job Search Lab to assist individuals and groups with computer literacy, mock interviews, resume assistance, job applications, and job search strategies.
Build relationships, collaboration and teamwork:
- Support and promote the mission and philosophy of JVS both internally and outside the agency.
- Function as part of the JVS team to provide high quality employment services.
- Establish relationships with key stakeholders, including funder, community-based partners and employers, and work collaboratively in a structured and on-going manner.
- Demonstrate knowledge of key principles and best practices of adult training, group facilitation and 1:1 career coaching.
- Interact in a team environment to establish and maintain harmonious working relationships with key stakeholders (participants, colleagues, coworkers, employers, partner organizations, funders, etc).
- Take proactive actions to serve and refer clients to other JVS programs and opportunities.
- Attend and actively participate in staff meetings and team-based projects.
- Collaborate with team members when needed.
- Contact potential/current clients to schedule/confirm appointments using appropriate systems and software.
- As a public facing team member, demonstrate a courteous demeanor with strong customer service skills.
- Communicate effectively verbally and in writing with compassion and tact.
- Exercise discretion in handling confidential information and follow all appropriate safeguards to protect client information.
- Participate in meetings, in-service training, team-based projects, and committees.
- Communicate regularly with Supervisor to ensure smooth delivery of services.
- Perform other duties as assigned or requested.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- 1-3 years of experience in the mentoring/advising/career coaching/recruiting field with excellent knowledge of career coaching tools and strategies.
- Knowledge of web-based job search resources and techniques.
- Exceptional level of computer/technology proficiency including ability to complete online job applications and maintain accurate records of services provided in databases.
- Strong Microsoft Office Suite skills are required.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment required.
- Bilingual or second language fluency a plus
EDUCATION REQUIRED: Associates in a related area (Counseling, Human Resources, Psychology, Social Work, or Education) or 3 years of related experience.
- JVS is currently offering services in a hybrid model. Staff need to be comfortable delivering services virtually as well as being able to report to JVS offices one or more days each week.
- Frequent meeting with clients and community partners conducted virtually or in person.
- May be requested to work outside of scheduled hours as defined by the needs of the department.
- Will attend occasional off-site meetings with partner organizations in and around the greater Boston area.