The Volunteer Recruitment & Outreach Manager is responsible for planning, coordinating, and executing all external outreach efforts related to the recruitment of appropriate volunteer mentors. This includes researching and attending volunteer fairs, giving presentations, building partnerships with corporations and community groups, and utilizing media outlets, including social media, in order to maximize agency mentor recruitment efforts. This position will liaise with the Marketing and Communications Coordinator for communications coming from BEST Kids to their stakeholders, both internally and externally. Lastly, this position will partner with the Program staff on the matching process for all waiting mentors according to established policies and procedures as well as assisting in planning a robust and effective pre-service training program for incoming mentors.
Performance Measures: The successful incumbent will produce positive outcomes in the following areas- training satisfaction rates, mentor recruitment rates, enrollment timelines and mentor retention, and match retention and closure rates
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Work with Executive Director to set recruitment strategies and metrics to measure the execution and effectiveness of those strategies.
- Work closely with Program staff to ensure sufficient and appropriate prospective volunteers are applying to become mentors based on specific needs presented for youth enrolled.
- Engage individuals and groups in the community, such as corporations, religious groups, civic clubs, among others, through volunteer fairs, group presentations, online postings and any other strategies identified in established recruitment plan, in order to recruit qualified and committed volunteers to serve as mentors and other agency volunteers.
- Build and maintain relationships with other nonprofit agencies that assist in the recruitment of volunteers.
- Work with Development Manager and Marketing/Communications Coordinator to build social media campaigns related to fundraising and recruitment
- Engage current and past mentors and mentees in recruitment efforts in collaboration with other staff.
- Maintain timely and accurate records and utilize technology to record outreach and recruitment efforts and report, synthesize and analyze data to continually guide development of recruitment strategies.
Volunteer Admissions & Matching
- Respond to all inquiries from prospective volunteers
- Partner with Program Manager to interview all prospective mentors for program and qualification fit
- Conduct reference checks for all prospective mentors
- Partner with Operations Team to complete documentation and recordkeeping of all mentors in clearance process
- Works with Program staff to make matching decisions
- Assists Program Director with New Mentor Training procedure and facilitation
- Attend all program events and fundraising events
- Attend ongoing mentor trainings, as appropriate
EDUCATION & RELATED WORK EXPERIENCE
- 2-4 years of experience managing and recruiting volunteers
- 2-4 years of project management experience
- Familiarity with DC (specifically Wards 6-8) and Prince George’s County, Maryland
- Some experience with B2C social media marketing or content development, preferred
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office; including Word, Outlook, and Excel
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Ability to relate well in cross-cultural environments
- Ability to effectively collaborate with other program staff, agency partners, and advisors
- Ability to focus on details
- Ability to adapt to shifting priorities
- Ability to form and sustain appropriate professional relationships
- Ability to critically analyze data and problem solve
- Ability to maintain confidentiality throughout daily operations
WORK ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Routine office environment with some local travel in and around service area (Southeast DC and Prince George’s County, MD)
- Work hours and work location flexible to meet customer and agency needs
- Must pass criminal, child protection, and sex offender registry background checks, including a health and tuberculosis (TB) screening
- Must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19
- Attention to Detail- Able to review data/documents for accuracy and consistency; take action to prevent mistakes; follow procedures closely; keep records accurate and up to date.
- Customer Focus- Able to build rapport with customers, listening and responding effectively and efficiently to meet their needs; identify unexpressed customer needs and potential products/services to meet those needs; prioritize work in alignment with the needs of the customer; use customer knowledge and feedback to improve own work results; provide a welcoming and inclusive experience for all with diverse perspectives, talents, backgrounds and/or styles.
- Flexibility & Achieving Change- Able to positively deal with changes that affect job requirements; adapt to shifting priorities in response to the needs of internal and external clients; quickly recognize situations/conditions where change is needed; work to clarify situations where information, instructions, or objectives are ambiguous; support organizational change.
- Resilience & Response to Challenges- Able to interpret situations and information objectively when stressed; remain calm and professional in potentially difficult or emotionally charged interpersonal interactions; maintain high productivity in stressful situations; maintain high performance in the face of setbacks or changing circumstances; view failures objectively and rebound quickly; work to clarify situations where information or objectives are ambiguous.
- Communication - Verbal and Written- Able to practice active and attentive listening skills to verify understanding; adapt communication content and delivery to individual needs; proactively inform others about developments relevant to the team; openly and diplomatically express opinion, even when different from that of others; translate what is heard, observed or assessed into documentation that is accurate, concise, and clearly communicates key information to others with a need to know.
- Decisiveness & Judgment- Able to demonstrate good and ethical judgment in routine, day-to-day decisions; independently make decisions and take action, even in non-routine situations; consider impact of various options when making decisions; use good judgment in deciding whether to make a decision or escalate it to a supervisor for additional consultation; use an awareness of formal and informal decision-making channels to achieve desired results.
- Gets Results- Able to demonstrate high personal work standards and a sense of urgency about results; do everything possible to meet goals and deadlines without sacrificing quality; persist in the face of changing circumstances; accept responsibility for the outcomes of his/her own work.
- Influencing- Able to persuade and enlist others' support in accomplishing objectives; motivate/reassure prospective volunteers and youth/families to enrollment by using data or logic to aid them in their decision; use different influence approaches as appropriate.
- Planning & Organizing- Able to create detailed work plans; balance the need for adequate planning with the need for action; avoid wasting time on tasks that yield low value; use resources efficiently; create and monitor measures to chart the progress and impact of assignments.
- Relationship Building- Able to deal effectively with people in order to get work accomplished; adjust own interpersonal approach to fit the interpersonal style/needs of others; recognize the impact of one's behavior on others; build a network of internal and external contacts to meet job responsibilities.
- Problem Solving & Analysis- Able to gather appropriate data and diagnose the cause of a problem before taking action; separate causes from symptoms; apply lessons learned from others who encountered similar problems or challenges; anticipate problems and develop contingency plans to deal with them; develop and evaluate alternative courses of action.
- Open Communication- Able to use active and attentive listening to confirm understanding; coach others through the use of reflective questioning; personalize communication content and delivery to fit different perspectives, backgrounds or styles of audience; document information about matches clearly and concisely in order to keep records accurate and up to date.
- Valuing Diversity- Able to seek out and work effectively with others who have diverse perspectives, talents, backgrounds, and/or styles; contribute to a team climate in which differences are valued and supported; challenge any stereotyping or offensive comments; seek and respond to feedback from others about his/her own behavior that might be perceived as biased.
Equal Employment Opportunity
BEST Kids provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified individuals without regard to race, creed, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, or non-disqualifying physical or mental handicap or disability or any other protected class recognized by Federal or State law.
Americans with Disabilities Act
Applicants as well as employees who are or become disabled must be able to perform the essential duties & responsibilities either unaided or with reasonable accommodation. The organization shall determine reasonable accommodation on a case-by-case basis in accordance with applicable law.