The National Endowment for Democracy (NED), a congressionally funded, private, nonprofit grantmaking organization that works to support freedom around the world, is seeking a Grants Officer. This position is based in Washington, DC.
The Grants Officer works under the supervision of the Managing Grants Officer, LAC). This position provides hands-on (cradle-to-grave) management of an assigned grant portfolio, working closely with colleagues to provide effective and collaborative due diligence and oversight of grant programs.
The mission of the Grants Administration department is to provide effective and efficient grants management, guiding grantees through the grant lifecycle to support their successful implementation of projects, in support of NED’s mission. The department strives to promote consistent implementation of policy and procedure, flexibility, responsiveness, innovation, and collaboration in the administration of NED’s grantmaking program.
- Participate in proposal review and risk assessment processes, providing input into the assessment of the eligibility and grants administration capacity of prospective grantees.
- Analyze proposal budgets for allowability, allocability, and reasonableness.
- Draft new grant agreements and amendments.
- Ensure the smooth management of grants portfolio, including timely payments, quick response to grantee inquiries, and efficient problem-solving.
- Maintain an up-to-date grant portfolio, sending all reminders, follow-ups, and closeouts.
- Approve grantee financial reports, payment requests, and conduct resolution of invoice review findings.
- Facilitate grantees’ understanding of grant, reporting, and audit requirements.
- Ensure that grants awarded are in compliance with US Government or other donor regulations and/or other special requirements.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field (international studies, relevant area studies, nonprofit administration, etc.).
- Strong written, reading and spoken Spanish required; ability in French and/or Portuguese language in addition to Spanish, desired.
- At least 2 years of grants and/or contract administration experience in a nonprofit organization or foundation.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, especially Word and Excel; knowledge of MicroEdge Gifts or another relational database helpful.
- Other Qualifications:
- Familiarity with Federal grant regulations and international activities/issues relevant to NED’s operational environment.
- Familiarity with or an interest in the LAC region.
- Ability to travel internationally on an occasional basis.
- Authorization to work in the United States.
- Attention to detail and ability to multi-task, set priorities, and organize time efficiently.
- Strong ability to be a team player and self-starter, comfortable in a supporting role, working independently, and in a multicultural environment.
- Ability to work with discretion.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
This position is part of the NED Bargaining Unit.
Applications must include a cover letter, resume, desired salary, and contact information for three professional references, of which one should be a supervisor. Please, no phone call inquiries.
For more information, please visit our website at www.ned.org or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The NED is an Equal Opportunity Employer.