Location: Remote or Ashburn, VA.
Salary Range: $75,168 - $88,433
The National Recreation and Park Association (NRPA) is the leading not-for-profit organization dedicated to building strong, vibrant, and resilient communities through the power of parks and recreation. With more than 60,000 members, NRPA advances this mission by investing in and championing the work of park and recreation professionals and advocates — the catalysts for positive change in service of equity, climate-readiness, and overall health and well-being. For more information, visit www.nrpa.org. For digital access to NRPA’s flagship publication, Parks & Recreation, visit www.parksandrecreation.org.
NRPA is currently seeking a Financial Analyst to join our Finance and Accounting department.
The Financial Analyst, a newly created position, is an essential member of the Finance and Accounting team and reports directly to the Chief Operating Officer (COO). The Financial Analyst will provide business and financial advice to the COO and various budget leaders within the national organization. The position is responsible for assisting in the preparation of budgets, forecasts, and financial reports and analyses for various departments and will serve as a liaison between teams. The position provides regular support to other Finance-related functions, such as the month-end close process.
The objective of the Finance team is to maximize value for our members over the long-term through the efficient, effective, and sustainable allocation of financial resources. We help empower leaders with high quality financial information and advice that is accurate and timely.
Financial Planning and Analysis
· Strategic Planning
o Provide key support to the Executive Team with the annual strategic planning process.
o Build financial models and forecasting tools that allow for long-term scenario planning in support of the strategic planning process.
o Play a lead role in the creation of our annual budget for the FY2023 year and forward by developing prudent and realistic forecasts.
o Lead annual budgeting process and monthly forecast process.
o Prepare monthly reporting of financial performance and variance analysis of financial results.
Financial Operations and Systems
· Oversee operational excellence across the organization by evaluating, refining, creating, and supporting systems and processes to ensure efficiency and effectiveness as we continue to grow in size and complexity.
· Enhance the use of Adaptive Insights (our financial planning software), which may include integrating with third party software providers, developing new reports, and creating financial dashboards.
· Prepare accurate and timely financial reports to funders/donors, as required.
· Track and report compliance with banking partners.
· 5+ years of related work experience
· Bachelor's degree in Accounting or Finance or equivalent experience
· Knowledge of financial planning software (e.g. Workday Adaptive Planning, Hyperion, Cognos) strongly preferred
Relationship Development & Communication
· Establish great working relationships with internal and external stakeholders, including staff, community constituents, as well as board members.
· Able to open doors, make connections, tell a compelling story through the use of data, and create pathways to ensure financial sustainability in literacy education within a very competitive market.
· Effective communicator and a natural connector , and you have a track record of successfully establishing rapport quickly and maintaining relationships, even at a distance.
Think & Act Strategically
· Understand stakeholder goals and respond to and anticipate future needs.
· Proactively consider possible future challenges and opportunities in making plans and decisions.
· Understand the connections and relationships between your work and how it impacts others.
· Possess the ability to anticipate the implications and consequences of situations and take appropriate action to be prepared for possible contingencies
Display Drive & Achieving Results:
· Identify what needs to be done and do it before being asked or before the situation requires it. You have the ability to focus on the desired result of your work, setting challenging goals, focusing effort on the goals, and meeting or exceeding them.
· Tackle problems by using a logical and systematic approach.
· Synthesize financial data into meaningful information for stakeholders.
· Able to translate analysis into actionable recommendations that support decision making.
Candidate Work Style
· Possess robust and relevant job experience in roles with increasing responsibility, nonprofit experience a plus
· Display strong analytical and financial modeling skills
· Demonstrate excellent verbal and written communication skills; able to successfully convey financial concepts to non-finance colleagues
· Able to adapt to changing organizational needs and priorities and juggle multiple projects while meeting deadlines
· Demonstrate strategic and analytical thinking abilities and strong problem-solving skills
· Exhibit excellent professional judgment
· Thrive in a remote work environment
· Approach your work with pride and have fun while doing it
· Actively seek professional and personal growth opportunities
Required Materials and Application Process: Applicants without the following required materials may not be considered for this position:
· Cover Letter detailing your background and description how your experience and education would make you a successful candidate for this position (limit 2 pages).
Applicants will first be evaluated on the completeness and qualifications of application materials. Qualified applicants will then be invited for a phone screen and selected applicants will be invited to a Zoom interview. Finalists will be required to submit references for a reference and background check.
Who May Apply: This position is open to all qualified applicants.
NRPA values diversity, equity and inclusion and we are committed to integrating these core values more deeply into all elements of our daily work. NRPA is an equal opportunity employer and highly encourages people of all backgrounds to apply, including people of color, ethnic minorities, new Americans (immigrants and refugees), LGBTQ+ individuals, people with disabilities, native people, and veterans.
Discover the Benefits at NRPA!
NRPA has been named a Top Workplace by The Washington Post every year since 2014. To promote healthy lifestyles, at work and away, we have established programs like Teleworking, FlexTime Schedules, 37.5-hour workweek, Employee Assistance Programs, Educational Assistance Programs, Lunch-and-Learn sessions, and more. NRPA also offers a competitive Heath benefits package, generous PTO program where employees accrue 26 days of paid time per year, parental leave, and retirement and savings benefits.
Location: Remote or Ashburn, VA.
Salary Range: $75,168 - $88,433
The National Recreation and Park Association (NRPA) is the leading not-for-profit organization dedicated to building strong, vibrant, and…