The Director will oversee and manage NWLC’s federal legal and policy work to protect and expand access to abortion. Working in close partnership with other Center staff, the Director will play a leadership role in ensuring that the Center’s abortion work is advanced at the federal level by educating, engaging, and working closely with policymakers, coalition partners, and other key stakeholders.
This is a full-time exempt position of 37.5 hours per week.
The National Women’s Law Center (NWLC) fights for gender justice — in the courts, in public policy, and in our society — working across the issues that are central to the lives of women and girls.
We use the law in all its forms to change culture and drive solutions to the gender inequity that shapes our society and to break down the barriers that harm all of us — especially women of color, LGBTQIA+ people, and low-income women and families.
For 50 years, we have been on the leading edge of every major legal and policy victory for women, and we need you with us to continue this fight. Find out more at NWLC.org.
· Spearhead strategies to expand the reach and impact of the Center’s abortion work at the federal level, including by building and maintaining relationships with congressional and executive branch staff;
· Undertake legal and policy analysis in response to requests from federal policymakers and to help develop the Center’s federal abortion priorities;
· Lead collaborative federal abortion campaigns in coordination with other Center staff, including helping to develop messages and policy proposals;
· Direct the Center’s response to proposed rules and other agency initiatives on abortion, including by assigning roles, managing team, and helping with drafting and outreach as needed;
· Work in close coordination with the Director for State Abortion Policy, Director of National Strategy on Abortion Rights, and Director of Reproductive Rights and Health Litigation to ensure a cohesive strategy across the Center’s abortion work;
· Closely coordinate with key Center staff undertaking federal advocacy work, and the Marketing and Communications Team, to provide information and support on federal legislation and policy, and strategically and collectively further the Center’s work;
· Supervise staff and interns and manage projects and staff supporting those projects;
· Represent the Center’s positions in coalition meetings, build and maintain close working relationships with coalition partners in the reproductive rights, health and justice space and various federal progressive coalitions;
· Conceive, draft, edit, and oversee development of written products, legislative testimony, talking points, letters, and other materials for congressional staff and the public;
· Assist in fundraising activities and budgeting;
· Help to shape overall organizational and RRH team goals and strategies;
· Respond to requests from the press and participate in press interviews; and
· Represent the Center and its federal abortion work at public events, conferences, and meetings.
The ideal candidate will possess:
This position reports to the Vice President for Reproductive Rights and Health and works closely with members of the Reproductive Rights and Health team, as well as teams across the Center, in coordinating federal policy work. Current supervision responsibilities include a senior policy analyst, counsel, and fellow.
Compensation & Benefits
A salary within the range of $122,255.00-147,853.00 will be provided to the successful candidate with 7 to 19+ years of experience, consistent with the National Women’s Law Center’s compensation framework. The successful candidate’s salary within this range will be determined by the number years of relevant experience they bring to the role.
The Center offers a comprehensive benefits package, and four weeks of annual vacation.
NWLC is a non-profit organization whose headquarters and staff are based in Washington, D.C.
NWLC is a non-profit organization whose headquarters and staff are based in Washington, D.C. at our new office at 1350 Eye Street N.W. This role is based in D.C. and will be eligible for some telework while also being expected to work in person on a regular basis. The successful candidate will need to live in or relocated to the DMV (broadly defined as DC, Maryland, or Virigina).
The first 90 days of employment will be considered a probationary period.
This position is a management role and as such is not included in the union-represented bargaining unit, NWLC United, affiliated with the Nonprofit Professional Employees Union/IFPTE Local 70.
How to Apply
To apply, please forward a resume and a cover letter outlining how your professional background is a good fit for this position. Resumes should include exact start and end dates (month and year) of employment and education, as well as the average number of hours worked per week in each job. Applications accepted until position is filled. https://nwlc.org/jobs-at-nwlc/staff-positions/?gh_jid=4012693007
The National Women’s Law Center is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and values a diverse workforce. We strongly encourage and seek applications from people with disabilities; people of all genders, gender identities and sexual orientations; people of color; and veterans.
If you require reasonable accommodations during any part of the hiring process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Director will oversee and manage NWLC’s federal legal and policy work to protect and expand access to abortion. Working in close partnership with other Center staff, the Director will play a leadership role in ensuring that…