In collaboration with Reel Works, the Film Department at Brooklyn College and the Department of Career Development and Internships, MediaMKRS provides undergraduate media students across CUNY campuses with pre-professional training, career development opportunities, and internship placements through industry partners.
MediaMKRS is a partnership between Reel Works and the NYC Mayor’s Office of Media and Entertainment, the City University of New York, media companies and unions and to train, credential and prepare talented New Yorkers for careers in media and entertainment.
The CUNY Department of Career Development and Internships, Reel Works, and the Film Department at Brooklyn College, launched a multi-campus media career development initiative, MediaMKRS. This initiative focuses on cultivating media industry partnerships with the intention of establishing a network of internship opportunities for CUNY media students. The initiative will also provide pre-professional and career readiness training to media students across CUNY. The office is seeking a motivated and dynamic individual with excellent networking skills to act as the internship coordinator for this initiative. This Position is funded through the end of the fiscal year (June 2022) with a possibility of extension.
Reporting to the Career Programs Manager at Reel Works and Director of Academic Affairs & Operations in the Film department at Brooklyn College, the Internship Coordinator will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Cultivate and Maintain Industry Partners – Actively pursue partnerships with companies in the film/media industry. Establish internship programs within these companies where CUNY media students can be placed. Work to develop and define career pipelines into the workforce.
- Internship Placement Support - Develop relationships with liaisons at CUNY’s creative arts programs to recruit, train, place and support a set number of internships annually for media students across CUNY. Work closely with hiring managers to qualify, match, support and assess internship placements that are successful for both the youth and host companies. Manage administration, record keeping, payroll and reporting as required.
- Reporting & Assessment. Maintain up to date records on all participants. Survey and record outcomes from host companies. Collect feedback and success stories for reporting to CUNY and MOME.
- Workforce Readiness Training & Career Exploration - Support student enrollment in career readiness workshops and pre-professional training across CUNY media programs.
- Student Support - Work with students to prepare application materials, provide career guidance, and connect to relevant wrap around resources.
- Additional Responsibilities: Handle any appropriate responsibilities and functions as assigned. Attend relevant professional development trainings and networking events.
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in Film, Television or Media/Communications. Equivalent combination of applicable training and experience may be substituted for education requirements.
- 2+ years of experience in media production, employer relations, career development or a related area.
- Experience working with diverse college students.
- Excellent planning, organizational, and project management skills. Must demonstrate the ability to manage timelines/deadlines and to achieve key milestones successfully.
- Should be comfortable working in a fast-paced environment. Must be detail-oriented.
- Strong communicator with good interpersonal skills; comfortable establishing and building good, productive working relationships with a variety of people across all levels (executive to peers, industry, as well as internal and external stakeholders).
- Technology savvy—Comfortable and familiar with technology including social media, web-based applications and data systems, and computers. Intermediate to advanced MSWord, Excel, and Google Docs/Forms/Sheets.
- Experience working with individuals with barriers to employment.
- Existing relationships with employer contacts within the media industry.
- Experience with data collection and analysis.
- An understanding of the current career landscape within the media industry.
- This position operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as personal computers, laptops, tablets, smart phone, photocopiers, filing cabinets and other presentation materials
- Ability to travel to other CUNY and internship sites as needed.
We are committed to enhancing our diverse academic community by actively encouraging people of all race, color, religion, gender, gender identities or expressions, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disabilities, age, or protected veteran status to apply. We take pride in our pluralistic community and continue to seek excellence through diversity and inclusion. CUNY is an EEO/AA Employer.