Konojel is one our partnes! It is registered as a non-profit organization in Guatemala and is located in San Marcos La Laguna on Lake Atitlan. Their mission is to reduce chronic malnutrition and endemic poverty in San Marcos. They are strengthening the most at-risk individuals in San Marcos la Laguna through programs targeting nutrition, education, and empowerment.
Program Development and Oversight
- Oversee all day-to-day operations of the Konojel ONG Programs and the Konojel Restaurant. The Konojel Programs currently include Healthy Babies, Young Leaders, the Nutrition Program and the Computer Center, as well as other activities and any programs that may be developed and added in the future.
- Participate in monthly committee meetings with ATF Board members: Finance, Educational Programs, Social Programs, Communications and Fundraising.
- Manage Human Resource issues i.e. hiring, training, payroll, coaching and disciplinary action as needed). Provide moral support for all team members and design special team events, rewards and recognitions.
- Collaborate with members of the local community to analyze their needs, and develop projects that strategically meet those needs for lasting impact.
- Coordinate volunteers for Konojel’s programs including individual volunteers and groups.
- Annually, lead short- and long-term strategic planning processes with the Konojel staff and participate in AFT’s strategic planning initiatives.
Administrative and Finance
- Prepare written reports for ATF Quarterly Meetings (in English).
- Provide annual budgets for all programs.
- Complete monthly financial statements for both Konojel ONG and ATF and coordinate all reports with the ATF Treasurer.
- Maintain records of program expenses, revenues and outcomes.
- Assist with grant writing, as needed
Communication and Fundraising
- Support ATF Fundraising efforts and lead local fundraising campaigns.
- Coordinate with communications manager to develop content for donor outreach and social media.
- Carefully manage the Konojel brand while providing positive leadership within the community.
Experience and Qualifications
- Minimum three years of leadership experience, including program planning, budget and financial management, and staff management in Guatemala in a non-profit or social organization.
- Ability to navigate complex cultural and social environments, with demonstrated understanding of and sensitivity to challenges faced by indigenous Maya.
- Proven record of delivering results, establishing meaningful measurement and evaluation systems, and creating a positive work environment characterized by open communication and accountability.
- High level strategic thinking and planning, with ability to envision and convey Konojel’s strategic future to staff, board, volunteers, and donors.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to develop relationships.
- Experience working with and reporting to a board of directors (preferred).
- Highly motivated, proactive, and flexible, while able to delegate and maintain transparency.
- Professional experience with computers, including Word, Excel, and social media.
- Strong abilities in Spanish and English.
- Familiarity with and willingness to live in San Marcos la Laguna (or easily accessible, in case of evening meetings or events).