Position Summary: The Annual Fund Manager is a new position designed to project manage Boys & Girls Clubs of Boston (BGCB)’s fundraising appeals and provide consulting services to nine individual Clubs and YouthConnect. Reporting to the Associate Director of Leadership Giving, this person will coordinate appeals from start to finish, including the direct mail program, personalized in-house appeals for donors giving $1,000+, e-appeals, and other special campaigns. They will serve as a primary point of contact for the Directors of local Clubs and YouthConnect, supporting their fundraising efforts as they relate to each Club’s local Advisory Board, special events, appeals, and outreach, solicitation, and stewardship of key donors. The ideal candidate has a solid understanding of development fundamentals and an interest in behind-the-scenes annual fund work.
This position is based at our Main Office, 200 High Street Boston, MA and is eligible to apply for a hybrid (in-office and remote) work model. It is a full-time position, Monday – Friday, 9am-5pm with flexibility to attend events and meetings as needed.
BGCB is offering a $1,500 Sign-on Bonus! - Terms apply
Our Mission: The mission of Boys & Girls Clubs of Boston is to help young people, especially those who need us most, build strong character and realize their full potential as responsible citizens and leaders. We do this by providing: a safe haven filled with hope and opportunity, ongoing relationships with caring adults, and life-enhancing programs.
- Youth First – We keep children and teens at the forefront of every action and decision to elevate members’ voices.
- Integrity – We conduct ourselves with honesty and transparency and strive to do the right thing, every day, and every time.
- Community – We foster an inclusive culture by celebrating diversity and respecting the inherent dignity and worth of everyone.
- Equity – We commit to providing opportunities to create just outcomes that honor the needs, experiences, and values of our community, especially those with marginalized identities.
- Innovation – We apply a forward-thinking approach that encourages teamwork, adaptability, strategy, intention, and creativity to address today’s challenges and build positive futures for all members.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Appeal Project Management
- Create, project-manage, and execute production timelines for calendar and fiscal year-end direct mail and in-house appeals.
- Compose timely, persuasive, compelling content for print and email appeals, as well as social media advertising, with consistent branding across channels.
- Submit project requests to BGCB’s marketing & communications team by compiling relevant details such as content, deadlines, budgets, etc. Serve as liaison to marketing team through completion of each project, coordinating edits, revised drafts, and approvals as needed.
- Submit data requests to BGCB’s development operations team with a thoughtful, strategic approach to audience creation and segmentation.
- Optimize data files for user-friendliness, circulate, and support gift officers with portfolio assessment and solicitation strategy in relation to bi-annual appeals.
- Serve as primary contact for external mail house. Ensure direct mail materials are up to BGCB’s brand standards and produced in a timely manner.
- Produce in-house appeals via mail merges, coordinating reviews, printing, and mailing.
- Responsible for list management and data integrity, coordinating with development operations to submit final data back into Raiser’s Edge NXT.
- Work in collaboration with marketing & communications team on social media advertising, Giving Tuesday, and other special campaigns as needed.
Club Fundraising Support
- Serve as a fundraising consultant for Club Directors and YouthConnect. Dedicate time and effort to build and maintain positive working relationships with key Club leaders and staff.
- Partner with Club leaders to strategize around key individual donors, including outreach, solicitation, and stewardship. Help establish plans for implementation to achieve revenue goals.
- Review donor thank you lists and identify next steps for Club leadership and/or other gift officers as needed. Work through appeal lists specific to each Club, determining best course of action with regards to calendar and fiscal year-end solicitations.
- Attend Clubs’ local Advisory Board meetings and support board strategy and engagement as needed.
- Project manage Club-specific appeals, including South Shore Friends camperships for Yawkey Club of Roxbury, Weston Friends camperships for Berkshire Partners Blue Hill Club, and others as needed. Generate data and marketing requests; support collaboration with volunteer solicitors; and coordinate content approvals and production.
- Support Club fundraising events as a consultant for Club leadership and liaison with the development & marketing team. Generate data and marketing requests, thinking collaboratively about key BGCB constituencies to invite, involve, and/or solicit through Club events. Dispatch next steps to the marketing and events teams as needed, ensuring projects are in motion and meet deadlines. Communicate out to development team members and Main Office about upcoming opportunities for donors or prospects to be involved as volunteers and/or supporters at Club events.
- Ensure information about Club donors and events is entered into Raiser’s Edge NXT, including final lists for appeals, event invitees and attendees, key relationships, contact information, and actions by Club leadership (donor thank yous, solicitation, outreach).
- Minimum of 3 years fundraising experience.
- Interest and commitment to BGCB’s mission.
- Superb project management skills including personal organization, time management, thoughtful planning, tactful follow-through, and strong attention to detail.
- Ability to manage several projects simultaneously, prioritize, and meet deadlines.
- Familiarity with written solicitation appeals, be they direct mail, personalized, or email.
- Strong writing skills. Writing samples may be requested.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills. Must be able to work collaboratively with a variety of audiences, including senior management, Club leadership, donors, volunteers, staff, vendors, and other stakeholders.
- Flexibility, sense of humor, desire to learn, and enjoys being a team player.
- Proficiency in MS Office required. Raiser’s Edge experience much preferred.
- Ability to maintain high level of confidentiality.
- Motivated to work in a fast-paced and energetic environment that may occasionally require some early morning, evening, and weekend work.