JOB DESCRIPTION: The Development Associate will have a crucial role in driving fundraising for City Mission. Working with the Director of Development and Stewardship, the Development Associate will be involved with all significant aspects of development and will make a substantial contribution to meeting organizational fundraising goals. The Development Associate will assist with departmental projects and initiatives such as online giving campaigns, grant proposal/report writing, donor cultivation, meetings, events, and other opportunities for donor engagement. This position will also provide administrative support and maintains the donor database.
This position reports to the Director of Development. Flexibility to accommodate work during evenings and weekends when warranted is an essential requirement for this role.
Database Management and Gift Processing
• Maintain the accuracy of data and financial records in the eTapestry donor database
• Process and enter gifts in the database as they arrive, and send acknowledgments to supporters for gifts received
• Provide input to finance for monthly, quarterly, and annual reconciliations and audits
• Enter and update donor information, input contacts and solicitor activity into the database, and track and report on prospects, donors, donations, and appeals
• Monitor online giving vehicles (e.g., YourCause and various Donor Advised Funds)
• Research and identify prospective foundation funders, major donors, and corporate sponsors; follow fundraising-related news, research, trends, and best practices.
• Draft donor correspondence, including solicitation and acknowledgment letters, as needed and manage the timely acknowledgment of all contributions.
• Work closely with the Director of Development and Stewardship to support the execution of events. Related activities include keeping event deadlines, identifying and working with venues and external vendors, creating mailing lists, mailing invitations, and other information, creating online forms, managing attendees, timely correspondence with constituents, and event-day logistics.
• Support, attend and participate in program(s) and departmental events.
• Manage event volunteers
Grants & Grants Management
• Manage the grants process, tracking system, and calendar
• Write and edit grants and reports for institutional donors
• Research new funding opportunities; Identify lapsed and prospective institutional funders
• Manage and maintain grant files to ensure all grant-related correspondence, guidelines, and requirements are documented in the database, as well as in other files.
• Help prepare and maintain Development Office budget
• Draft, edit, and proofread communications and documentation
• Maintain donor files and prospect materials and information
• Execute all department mailings; coordinate written, printed, and segmented electronic appeals
• Coordinate and participate in development team meetings and required trainings
• Support the design and creation of printed and online materials
• Work effectively with vendors, including off-site designers and printers and mail houses
• Other miscellaneous duties, such as but not limited to maintaining and ordering supplies and gifts, reconciling credit card bills and receipts, and producing and distributing meeting minutes
• Support the Development Director in carrying out the regular duties of the development department.
• Other projects as assigned to help meet City Mission development and growth goals each year
QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE, AND ATTRIBUTES
• Minimum of 3 years relevant work experience.
• Experience with eTapestry database management and Blackbaud platform strongly preferred.
• Keen attention to detail and high-quality output
• Strong organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously
• Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills
• Undaunted by a high-paced, deadline-driven environment
• Ability to work independently, proactively, and collaboratively
• Strong belief in City Mission’s work and mission
• Commitment to diversity and respect for differences in race, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, ability, and socio-economic background.
• Strong computer knowledge and skills (Google Drive, Microsoft Office, especially Word and Excel; Blackbaud, Greater Giving or other database experience) and a willingness to learn more
• High level of discretion and confidentiality regarding sensitive and confidential information
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required
• Desire to learn about all aspects of non-profit fundraising
JOB DESCRIPTION: The Development Associate will have a crucial role in driving fundraising for City Mission. Working with the Director of Development and Stewardship, the Development Associate will be involved with all significant…