Objective of the position:
This position is responsible for planning, executing, and evaluating a marketing and communications plan consistent with the mission of the Organization in order to increase the image of OTS in the media as well as the sale of services offered. This position reports to the Chief Administrative Officer.
- Develop a strategic marketing and communications plan and forecast for OTS’ array of products and services offered within its various programs and at its stations to achieve organizational objectives.
- Develop the manuals and procedures necessary for the development of the marketing and communications plan.
- Analyze, assess, and recommend improvements to the various mechanisms through which customers to request services from OTS.
- Supervise communication and promotional activities including print, online, electronic media, and direct mail in order to increase the number of visitors and to disseminate the organizational news and the results of research, science, education, and other activities conducted by the organization. Coordinate newsletters, webinars, community events, virtual conferences, and educational forums, among others.
- Review and update the OTS branding manual. Establish and maintain a consistent corporate image throughout all product lines, promotional materials, and events.
- Develop relationships and activities with potential clients, industry influencers, and key strategic partners (i.e. travel agencies, universities, professors, etc.) in order to promote OTS products and services. Build and foster long-term working relationships with the media, members of the community, public affairs offices, and other relevant organizations. Respond to media requests for information and facilitate media interviews.
- Manage and set the rates by year and by season, in coordination with the Finance Office and based on market research, and develop and recommend product positioning, packaging, and pricing strategies.
- Maintain direct contact with the Education staff in order to facilitate the marketing and sale of OTS’ undergraduate and postgraduate academic programs as well as external faculty-led academic groups. Maintain direct contact with the OTS’ scientific staff for the sale of services aimed at researchers. Liaise with reservations and station staff to evaluate customer service procedures and implement improvements. Maintain direct contact with the Advancement Team in order to help establish a culture of philanthropy within the OTS and to promote the impact supporters can have in advancing OTS’ mission.
- Institute and evaluate metrics to gauge the effectiveness of the marketing and communications plan. Direct and make adjustments to the plan to improve results. Prepare and present activity reports to executive management. These include but are not limited to: 1) Number of visitors by population, period, gender, age, etc.; 2) Financial investment made and the corresponding return on investment; and 3) Impact generated from the various sales strategies which have been implemented.
- Oversees and evaluates market research and adjusts marketing and communications strategy to meet changing market and competitive conditions.
- Monitors competitor marketing and communications activities.
- Develops and manages the departmental operating budget.
- Other activities related to this department, as needed and/or requested.
- Bachelors degree in Marketing, Journalism, Advertising, Communications, or related field.
- Undergraduate coursework in biology, ecology, and/or conservation preferred but not required.
- Three to five years of related marketing and communications experience; portfolio of relevant previous projects highly preferred.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills that may include public speaking and presentations.
- 100% bilingual in written and spoken Spanish and English is highly preferred.
- Availability to travel domestically and internationally.
This position supervises the Communications Assistant.
Monday to Friday, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, with availability to handle situations outside these hours including holidays as needed. Occasional travel may be required.