Based in East Harlem and Washington Heights, two long-standing and well-regarded harm reduction organizations in New York City are seeking a Registered Nurse. The non-profits, in the process of completing a merger, are innovative organizations serving low-income people who use drugs and other marginalized individuals. The wide range of mobile and center-based services are delivered by upwards of 80 staff and peer workers, and include syringe access, overdose prevention, public health, care coordination, medical care, holistic, peer education, and advocacy services. The organizations have a combined $7 million budget made up of mainly government grants. We prioritize hiring people with lived experience.
We are currently looking for a Registered Nurse to work in our Drug User Health HUB Clinic and/or Drop in Center/Overdose Prevention Programs. This Health HUB works hand in hand with our Drop-in Centers and Overdose Prevention programs, no-barrier programs where people who use drugs (PWUD) can access harm reduction supplies and training, practice safer use, access respite, bathrooms, showers, laundry, and additional care coordination and support services. The RN works to provide medication assisted therapy, HIV and HCV testing and treatment, overdose prevention and training in addition to urgent care, general health care, and case management services. The RN will facilitate and support the administration of these clinical services and the administrative management of the clinic in collaboration with the Director of Clinical and Holistic Health, the Medical Director, and the rest of the team. For this position, NYRHE/WHCP are looking for an RN who is dedicated to harm reduction principles and eager to work in a high paced, high intensity environment.
· Responds to each client’s need for health care and health education independently, and when appropriate provides such care under the supervision of the physician.
· Administers directly observed therapy (DOT) medications to patients who need a safe place to keep prescribed HCV medication due to unstable housing. Assures that clients are taking medications as prescribed to encourage adherence.
· Utilizes the nursing process to assess, plan, implement and evaluate patient care independently. Performs phlebotomy to obtain blood specimens as ordered by the physician. Implements wound care and dressing changes. Implements blood glucose monitoring. Administers vaccines and documents their administration. Places and reads TB (tuberculin) skin tests.
· Assists in overdose reversal and monitoring in the Drop in Center (DIC). Assistance from the RN occurs in two ways; a) assists are directive but are “hands-off” to facilitate “hands-on” learning for staff and peers working in the DIC, b) direct interventions when the severity or complexity of the overdose requires additional medical support. Facilitates overdose briefings at the end of the shift to discuss what went well and what could be improved. Assists the Naloxone Coordinator in staff overdose response and CPR/AED refresher trainings.
· Is a regular presence in the DIC to build relationships with new participants and maintain patient connections.
· Assists the Clinic Coordinator with inventory standards and tracking for supplies and equipment to meet nursing care needs.
· Promotes informed, autonomous decision making with participants to reduce risks associated with drug use.
· Delivers non-judgmental education around: overdose prevention & reversal with naloxone, safer injection practices, safer sex, vein finding, infectious disease prevention and/or management, buprenorphine initiation/management, HIV prevention with PrEP, HCV treatment and re-infection prevention, hydration/nutritional education and much more.
· Serves as clinical oversight and consult on the development of agency educational and training materials to ensure messaging is accurate, safe, practical, accessible and health promotion focused.
· Supports and/or conducts ongoing staff trainings as directed (ex; safe injection training) to promote capacity and competency building amongst staff.
· Connects individuals to appropriate case management services and warmly hands them off to the appropriate staff person. Coordinates external specialist appointments and coordinates escorts from case management when appropriate, assists in making the appointment, ensures that health insurance coverage is not a barrier at the external agency and reminds the client of the upcoming appointment.
· Administers vaccines to program participants when applicable including flu shots, HEP A/B, COVID 19 vaccine
· Provides excellent documentation of services in both Montefiore Medical Records (EPIC eHR) as well as NYHRE/WHCP records (Welligent eHR).
· Contributes to monthly and quarterly funder reports as assigned by supervisors.
· Contributes to development and revision of policies and procedures for treatment and follow-up of various conditions at our clinics
· Graduate from an accredited nursing program. New graduates are welcome to apply.
· Current New York State (NYS) Registered Nurse license.
· Experience working in community health with marginalized populations preferred. Including; HIV positive individuals, active drug users, unstably housed individuals, sex workers or formerly incarcerated individuals.
· Current CPR/BLS certification required.
· Must be comfortable independently carrying out clinical skills (wound care, triage, overdose reversal, health assessments) with little oversight.
· Maintains respect and compassion for all clients being served, regardless of their active drug use or treatment compliance.
· Commitment to harm reduction and social justice as it pertains to individuals who use drugs or engage in sex work in a multi-cultural, multi-racial environment, in a non-judgmental way.
· Spanish language skills are highly preferred.
· Strong phlebotomy skills with patients who have vein finding difficulty is a plus.
Based in East Harlem and Washington Heights, two long-standing and well-regarded harm reduction organizations in New York City are seeking a Registered Nurse. The non-profits, in the process of completing a merger, are…
Please submit a cover letter outlining your experience and/or interest in harm reduction, Spanish/English proficiency, and interest in the position in addition to your curriculum vitae/resume. Applicants without a cover letter will not be considered for the position.
Please save your files with your last name and first name followed by document title (e.g. Smith James Resume, Smith James Cover Letter)
Submit Resume and Cover letter to:
Subject: Registered Nurse
Attention: Hiring Manager
Washington Heights CORNER Project and the New York Harm Reduction Educators are Equal Opportunity Employers and do not discriminate relative to race, ethnicity, religion, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability, medical status, or history of incarceration. Individuals who have personal experience with drug use, people living with HIV/AIDS (PLWHA), women, people of color, members of the LGBTQI community, disabled individuals, and the formerly incarcerated are strongly encouraged to apply.
Please submit a cover letter outlining your experience and/or interest in harm reduction, Spanish/English proficiency, and interest in the position in…