Cristo Rey Philadelphia High School, a college preparatory, Catholic school for students of all faiths, nurtures and challenges young people to recognize and realize their full potential as they learn to love others, grow in their faiths, and serve the common good. Founded in 2012 and based in a beautiful campus in the Tioga neighborhood of Philadelphia, the school serves over 525 students in grades 9-12 from across the city of Philadelphia as well as Camden.
Each student participates in the Corporate Work Study Program (CWSP), an integral part of the Cristo Rey model in which every student works one day a week throughout their four years at the school. While their students are at work, teachers use the time for lesson planning and preparation, student support meetings, and collaboration.
The Ideal Candidate:
Cristo Rey Philadelphia High School is seeking dedicated, intellectually curious and mission-driven educators who are open to growth, committed to equity and inclusion, and who reflect and/or celebrate our rich cultural diversity. As part of the team, they will have an opportunity to continue to develop one of Philadelphia’s most promising educational options for young people.
The ideal candidate will have diverse and applicable knowledge of ministry and spiritual direction, as well as experience leading retreats or in education. The Director of Campus Ministry will envision, organize, and lead ministry events and programming for the Cristo Rey community as well as direct our thriving Campus Ministry Student Leader formation program. They will also have experience working with religiously diverse students of color, specifically from lower socio-economic backgrounds. The Director of Campus Ministry is a 12-month role and reports to the Director of Student Life.
Duties and Responsibilities:
● Direct the Campus Ministry Student Leader program, including weekly meetings, retreat leader training, formation, recruitment and application process
● Direct all Grade Level Retreats, Team Retreats, and Parent/Guardian Retreat
● Coordinate and direct all student retreats, both day-long and overnight, including Kairos
● Oversee Sanctuary programming and usage (masses, Ramadan, Student Life Retreats, etc.)
● Oversee the organization of off-campus social justice/leadership related conferences (Ignatian Family Teach-In for Justice, Arrupe Leadership Summit, THEA, etc.)
● Write and create both visual and verbal content for prayer services, retreats, social media, etc.
● Lead Campus Ministry team meetings on a weekly basis
● Supervise Jesuit Volunteer and other Campus Ministers on a weekly basis
● Participate in all Cristo Rey admissions, academic, and work-study events as needed
● Perform additional duties as assigned.
Successful applicants will embody the mission-commitment, openness to growth, dedication, drive, flexibility, creativity, love, joy, and resilience that are central to the character of our staff. In addition they will meet or exceed the following requirements:
● Genuine and strong commitment to the mission of Cristo Rey Philadelphia High School
● Comfortable operating and communicating in Catholic, interfaith, and religiously neutral environments, and can speak to the work of a “Catholic School for Students of All Faiths”
● Competency in designing retreat programming to serve a heterogeneous student population diverse in culture, religion, and ability
● Strong interpersonal skills to relate well with students, staff, parents, and the community
● Knowledgeable in social justice issues and navigating conversations regarding justice, service, and social identity
● Excellent organizational and time management skills
● Proficiency in Google Suite
● Complete Virtus training and pass a background check
Education and Experience:
● A person of faith with a degree in theology, ministry, or a related field preferred
● Three to five years of demonstrated expertise in ministry
● Demonstrated experience with young adults in classroom, community service, or retreat settings
● Experience training and spiritually forming student leaders
Ability to physically perform the duties and to work in the environmental conditions required such as:
● Functioning in classroom and retreat spaces – walking, sitting, standing, reaching;
● Must be able to sit for up to two hours looking at a computer monitor, using a keyboard/mouse and typing;
● Must be able to stand for up to two hours instructing a classroom of learners;
● Must be able to lift up to 25lbs on a frequent basis.
To apply for the Director of Campus Ministry position at Cristo Rey Philadelphia High School, please submit a PDF of the following documents in an email to email@example.com:
● Resume or CV;
● Cover letter expressing interest in this position;
● Three references including name, title, relationship to applicant, phone number, and email address of each;
● Response to the following prompts:
○ Describe your philosophy of education and explain how you hope to put it into practice as a member of the Cristo Rey Philadelphia team. (Maximum Response-500 words)
○ Over the past ten years we have assembled a team of experienced educators who maintain high expectations for our students and work tirelessly to support each student’s learning, growth, and development. We have built a mission-driven culture that is open to growth, dedicated, driven, flexible, creative, loving, joyful, and resilient. Our team is comprised of individuals who are not afraid to fail and who dare to dream big. We push ourselves to be constantly learning, reflecting, creating and developing. We challenge our students and ourselves to believe, to dream, to lead, and to serve. Why should you be part of this team? (Maximum Response: 500 Words)
Cristo Rey Philadelphia High School is an equal-opportunity employer with excellent benefits and a mission-driven culture that values community and initiative. Salary is commensurate with experience.
NOTICE TO APPLICANT: COVID-19 Vaccination Policy
Cristo Rey Philadelphia High School requires that all eligible employees and volunteers receive vaccination of COVID-19 as a condition of employment, subject to lawful exemptions.
Cristo Rey Philadelphia High School, a college preparatory, Catholic school for students of all faiths, nurtures and challenges young people to recognize and realize their full potential as they learn to love others…