Who are the Girl Scouts?
Girl Scouts Nation’s Capital is the largest Girl Scout Council in the country. It provides girls in grades K-12 with opportunities to learn new skills, make friends, and discover the power of girls together. We’re the preeminent leadership development organization for girls.
Your Next Challenge
We are looking for a Major Gifts Officer to raise gifts (ranging from $5,000 to $100,000+) from individuals with multi-year commitments for Girl Scouts Nation’s Capital. The goal will be to raise $500,000 in your first year and increase that by $100,000 each subsequent year.
Here’s What You Will Be Doing
- Strategize with Director of Development and CEO to achieve individual giving fundraising goals
- Identify prospects for major gifts and bequests
- Prepare research on each prospect and recommend solicitation strategy for each visit and follow-up correspondence
- Schedule 3-4 cultivation and solicitation meetings per week with donors and prospects throughout the Council’s region, targeting individuals with a giving capacity of $5,000+
- Personally solicit and close major and planned gifts with donors
- Maintain an active portfolio of 75 to 100 donors
- Manage a comprehensive cultivation tracking system for all major and planned gift donors/prospects
- Prepare major gift proposals and/or decks in response to inquiries and/or cultivation
- Manage planned giving society and related events with goal of 10 new members per year
- Maintain data and pull reports related to Major Gifts
- Onboard and manage Development Interns throughout the year
- Assist and manage fundraising events and cultivation opportunities throughout the year
- Develop plans to reduce major donor attrition and re-engage lapsed donors
Let's Talk About You!
- You’re passionate about girl leadership.
- You have earned a bachelor’s degree or have equivalent related work experience.
- You have at least 2 years of experience in major gift fundraising with demonstrated success in personally closing on gifts of $10,000+.
- You are a relentless go-getter who is never phased by rejection!
- You are a compelling storyteller who inspires prospects to give generously.
- You get compliments on your excellent written and oral communication skills and excel at public presentations.
- You are experienced working with volunteer board of director and committees.
- You are excellent at building and maintaining relationships.
- You’ve planned events with great attention to detail, including working with outside vendors.
- You may have been a Girl Scout or a Girl Scout volunteer (but if not, it’s not a deal-breaker).
- You have a keen sense for technology, especially Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint and Zoom.
- You have experience with DonorPerfect (or similar donor database) and Wealth Engine (but if not, you’ll use your technology sense to learn it quickly).
- You may have the CFRE designation (which we would love!).
- You have regular, reliable car transportation to visit donors and prospects throughout the Greater DC Metropolitan Area.
- You can work occasional early morning, evening, and weekend meetings and events.
Some of Our Benefits
- 100% employer-paid HMO for employees (dependent coverage, POS, dental/vision available)
- 3% employer contribution to 403(b), plus additional 2% match
- Hybrid work environment: combining flexibility of telework with in-person human interaction!
- Generous paid leave benefits
- Paid holidays/office closures include: New Year’s Day, Martin Luther King Jr. Day, Presidents’ Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, day after Thanksgiving, Christmas Day, and December 26-31. The Presidential Inauguration Day is also an observed holiday on January 20th every four years.
- Friendly colleagues who are dedicated to a common mission to make a difference in the lives of girls