By 2025, KIPP DC will build upon two decades of proven results to develop into a more impactful, innovative, and inclusive school system that provides joyful, identity-affirming learning experiences so that all students and alumni achieve extraordinary outcomes.
Our work is grounded in a commitment to excellence, equity, and justice. We believe all students have the right to rigorous, relevant, and joyful learning experiences led by exceptionally talented and diverse educators who promote student achievement and a sense of belonging. We believe students and teachers best succeed when surrounded by an ecosystem of supports, including our central headquarters team that supports KIPP DC’s 20 schools, 7,300 students, and 1,300 teachers, leaders, and staff members dedicated to this mission.
The KIPP DC recruitment team works to ensure that talented staff members join KIPP DC. The Associate Director of Regional Hiring is a newly formed position that will work with the Director of Recruitment to design a a vision for non-instructional hiring that is aligned to our organizational priorities of investing in talent and equity, and set ambitious goals and plans to ensure that all KIPP DC student support and headquarters positions are filled with great talent. The Associate Director of Regional Hiring is an exempt position and will report directly to the Senior Director of Recruitment.
Leadership on the Recruitment Team
- Collaborate with the Senior Director of Recruitment, other recruitment team leaders, and other talent team leaders on larger talent initiatives, including candidate experience throughout recruitment, selection, and onboarding
- Represent non-instructional hiring work stream and needs to other talent leaders
- Share updates organizational and talent updates with recruitment managers so that they can incorporate it into their work, for example, compensation updates that will be important for candidates to understand
- Lead by example to create and reinforce positive and productive team culture
Hiring and Selection Strategy
Create overall hiring strategy
- Directly lead all selection, overseeing and managing the execution of all non-instructional recruitment and selection, including creating, maintaining, and updating a non-instructional hiring playbook which shares KIPP DC’s policies and resources for hiring with recruitment and hiring managers
- Support recruitment managers in differentiating the process to meet the unique needs of their different hiring portfolios, while also ensuring that every hiring process meets a high bar for quality
- Work with Legal and Human Resources teams to ensure hiring practices are continually updated to be legally sound
- Sequence priorities over the short and long term, developing an implementation plan for achieving recruitment goals and driving communication of strategy across KIPP DC
Serve as a strategic partner to hiring managers
- Build and maintain relationships with KIPP DC HDQ and SST leaders and support in forecasting roles
- Collaborate with hiring managers and the recruitment team to assess short and long-term talent needs and trends through surveys, regular check-ins, and other means of soliciting input and feedback
- Work with the Director of Recruitment, Talent Development Team, and Knowledge and Learning Team to support with school leader selection
Ensure equity in the hiring and selection process
- Create systems and structures to ensure equitable hiring processes, including alignment to KIPP DC’s leadership competencies, creating templates and resources that measure skills and competencies, and educating HQ and SST leaders on best practices in hiring
- Create system for accountability for monitoring equity in the hiring process and identifying and addressing gaps
Create the vision for developing and executing excellent candidate experience
- Leverage data and candidate feedback to identify strengths and opportunities in the current selection process
- Partner with recruitment managers to share best practices in candidate experience
- Manages non-instructional recruitment managers, including setting goals, holding team members accountable, supporting team members, and providing professional development
- Collaborate with the Associate Director of Recruitment and Associate Director of Instructional Hiring to ensure a consistent understanding of needs across KIPP DC
- Partner with the outreach team to attend and host events, both locally and nationally to ensure the recruitment, selection, and retention of top talent.
- Build close and effective relationships with KIPP DC HQ and SST hiring managers to assess talent needs across the region and ensure alignment of talent processes and resources with hiring needs
- Develop and coach hiring managers in areas of recruitment, retention, staffing and interviewing
- Collaborate with Human Resources and Talent Operations to ensure candidates have a smooth experience from selection to onboarding
Systems Creation and Management
- Design systems and processes to ensure that the recruitment team’s efforts are maximized as KIPP DC grows
- Oversee management of the recruitment team’s application tracking system in SmartRecruiters to track application numbers and ensure data fidelity
- Oversee compilation, analysis and reporting of selection data to drive action, improvement, and investment
- Collaborate with other talent teams to ensure offer letters are accurate, including building understanding of compensation and hiring policies in the hiring team and using the hiring systems effectively
- Bachelor’s degree required
- At least 5 years of recruitment or talent management experience strongly preferred
- Previous teaching experience or experience working in education non-profits strongly preferred
- Previous management experience strongly preferred
- Strong project management skills and the ability to progress monitor and hold team accountable
- Strong leadership and interpersonal skills and an ability to take initiative, receive feedback, and seek out creative ideas
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to write compelling messages to a variety of audiences
- Successful track record of collaboratively working with a wide range of stakeholders, both internal and external and strong skills in influencing and communication
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to create systems for broad outreach while maintaining personal touch with individuals
- Able to track and execute many complex and urgent tasks and processes simultaneously for different projects
- Strong cultural competency skills, including ability to communicate and work effectively and cultivate relationships with a diverse set of stakeholders
- Passion for education reform and the belief that every child can succeed
- Unquestioned integrity and commitment to KIPP DC’s mission and to advancing its anti-racist ambition through their work with staff, students, alumni, and families
- Comfort with working in a fast-paced, nonprofit environment along with an outstanding ability to multi-task, prioritize, manage and execute projects at a high level
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
KIPP DC Public Schools does not discriminate against, or tolerate discrimination against, employees or applicants for employment on any legally-recognized basis or protected class including, but not limited to, actual or perceived race, color, national origin, immigration status (except as necessary to comply with federal, DC, state, or local law), religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, lactation and related medical conditions), age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, gender (including gender identity or expression), marital status (including domestic partnership status), genetic information, political affiliation, pregnancy, family responsibilities, personal appearance, veteran status, uniform service member status, status of being unemployed, status of victim a survivor of domestic violence, sexual offense or stalking, matriculation or any other protected class under federal, state, DC, or local law.
Click here or here to review KIPP DC’s non-discrimination policy and KIPP DC’s Title IX Coordinator’s contact information.
KIPP DC requires all staff to provide proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 or obtain an approval for exemption due to medical or religious reasons by November 1, 2021 or start of employment, whichever is later.