Ayuda is a 501 (c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to providing direct legal, social and language access services, education, and outreach to low-income immigrants in the Washington, DC metropolitan area. Since 1973, Ayuda has provided critical services on a wide range of issues, in the process acquiring nationally recognized expertise in several fields including immigration law, language access, domestic violence and human trafficking. Ayuda has office locations in Washington, DC, Silver Spring, MD and Fairfax, VA.
WHY YOU WANT THIS GRANT WRITER JOB?
Because, just like everyone at Ayuda, you believe:
· In seeing communities where all immigrants succeed and thrive in the United States.
· In the overall success of our organization and all our programs.
· That families should be healthy and safe from harm.
· That all people should have access to professional, honest, and ethical services, regardless of ability to pay or status in this country.
· That diversity and equality make this country better.
WHAT WILL THIS GRANT WRITER JOB ENTAIL?
· Grant Writing: This includes 1) writing competitive government and foundation grant applications, including renewal and new grants, by creating new content and also using branded content; 2) creating proposal plans, lead proposal planning meetings, and ensure that the plan is on target; 3) gathering and creating attachments for applications; 4) using funder portals; and 5) conducting follow up as needed for pending grants
· Grant Reporting & Grant Management: This includes 1) writing grant reports using branded content and developing new content; 2) using funder web portals; 3) complete grant award process for awarded grants; 4) develop strategy for grant management in partnership with internal stakeholders; 5) lead site visit preparation process and site visit follow up; 6) organize and lead grant launch meetings with internal stakeholders; 7) oversee and approve financial expenses on grants; and 8) document management for assigned grants
· Stewardship: 1) provide updates to institutional supporters; 2) conduct outreach to new potential institutional supporters through phone calls, visits, and email communication; and 3) represent Ayuda at events with institutional supporters
· Other: 1) contribute to Ayuda’s strategy to grow foundation and government grant funding; 2) conduct grant research; 3) conduct database entry and database management
· The Grant Writer is required to be based in DC, Maryland, or Virginia. The Grant Writer will be based in Ayuda’s DC office and will be required to travel to Ayuda’s DC, Maryland, or Virginia offices for in-person external or internal meetings, with the option to work from home other times.
HOW DO YOU KNOW IF YOU CAN DO THIS JOB?
Eligibility: Must be legally able to work in the United States and maintain proper work authorization throughout employment. Must be able to meet the physical requirements of the position presented in a general office environment.
· Grant Writing Experience: 1 year of grant writing experience
· Excellent Writing and Communication Skills: This includes: 1) demonstrated ability to write clear, structured and persuasive grant proposals; 2) a strong grasp of English grammar, punctuation, and proofreading skills; 3) ability to speak effectively about Ayuda’s programs and impact; 4) excellent interpersonal and strong communication skills and ability to collaborate effectively with colleagues across programs
· Ability to Effectively Manage Competing Priorities and Deadlines: This includes 1) ability to prioritize projects with various deadlines and requirements; 2) ability to seek answers independently and ask for support when needed; and 3) flexibility and creativity to adapt to changing situations
· Technology Skills: This includes 1) Ability to use databases; 2) skilled use of Microsoft Office (Word and Excel) and Outlook email; 3) ability to use funder web portals
· Enthusiasm for building and growing Ayuda’s grant portfolio
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
The salary is commensurate with experience and comes with a robust benefits package that includes medical and dental insurance, long-term disability insurance, life and AD&D insurance as well as an employer-provided retirement match. All federal holidays are observed, and Ayuda offers paid leave for the week of Christmas through New Year’s Day. This position is exempt for overtime purposes.
Employees with federal student loan debt may be eligible to apply for Public Service Loan Forgiveness through the Department of Education. For more information, go to https://myfedloan.org/borrowers/special-programs/pslf.
Please apply with resume and cover letter. Writing samples may be requested.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Apply early for full consideration. No phone calls, please.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYMENT STATEMENT:
Ayuda is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
We believe that a diversity of experiences, opinions, and backgrounds is integral to achieving our mission and vision. We celebrate diversity and seek to leverage the passion, energy, and ideas of a culturally diverse team.
Ayuda is a 501 (c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to providing direct legal, social and language access services, education, and outreach to low-income immigrants in the Washington, DC metropolitan area. Since…