Job Title: Program Manager - Community Arts
Reports to: Community Arts Program Director
Status: Full-time, hourly, 35-40 hours/week
Terms: Commensurate with experience ($25-$30/hour)
About LA Commons
We engage communities in the creation of art for public spaces that tells their unique stories and serves as the basis for dialogue, interaction and a better understanding of Los Angeles. Through collaboration with local partners who have built deep wells of trust, we leverage art and cultural approaches to create positive change.
Since 2002, we have worked with over 1,000 artists, trained and mentored over 3,000 youth artists, and engaged over 35,000 community members in collaboration with scores of partners in neighborhoods across Los Angeles County. Headquartered in Leimert Park, we are committed to investing in resilient networks of youth, artists and community partners in Central and South Los Angeles.
The Community Arts Program Manager will work as a core member of the LA Commons team under the direction of the Community Arts Program Director. The manager will serve a key role in administration, outreach and facilitation of the work of LA Commons Community Arts projects in South Los Angeles, MacArthur Park and neighborhoods and communities across Los Angeles County. Projects include: intensive neighborhood-based youth artist (age 15-25) workshops, community arts engagement workshops, Leimert Park Day of the Ancestors: Festival of Masks, and community arts to advance equity including: public art, public messaging and cultural asset-mapping.
- Create and maintain timelines for each project to track partners, youth participants, staffing, timeline of tasks, and update on a weekly basis.
- Manage information flow to keep personnel and youth project lists updated and to ensure adherence to budgets, timelines and required documentation for project evaluation
- Maintain weekly communications with youth mentors and ensure weekly communications with youth participants
- Assist in organizing the story gathering celebrations and other program events related to the various projects.
- Maintain shared checklists and ensure timely completion of event related tasks including generation of contact lists for venues and event service providers, programs, sign-in lists and signage; and, acquisition of food and needed event equipment.
- Convene youth leadership team and support team in reaching its objectives
- Create slideshows and organize information for youth orientation meetings, artist selection panels, and project specific needs
- Schedule spaces and handle logistics and tech for meetings, trainings, community gatherings and neighborhood story events
- Coordinate orders and deliveries of project supplies and youth arts packets
- Attend meetings or workshops when appropriate;
- Make presentations to schools to recruit students for internship programs; (External)
- Communicate effectively with LA Commons staff, artists and youth participants
- Communicate effectively with partner agencies and community stakeholders
- Provide additional programmatic support as needed.
Skills, Knowledge, or Other Requirements
- Strong connection to and understanding of Los Angeles neighborhoods; connections to our primary service neighborhoods in South Los Angeles and MacArthur Park/Westlake a plus.
- Outstanding English written and verbal communication skills; Spanish proficiency a plus.
- Proficiency in Google suite, Microsoft Office, or similar business software
- Strong sense of professionalism and commitment to collaborative work
- Ability to take initiative
- Excellent organizational and prioritization skills; ability to manage an unpredictable workflow and flexibility to respond thoughtfully and quickly.
- Interest and experience in arts and culture work
- Interest in community arts as an avenue for sharing stories, building community and creating opportunities for youth artists to share their talents and further develop their artistic and leadership skills
- Interest and experience in youth leadership development
- Must have valid CA driver’s license and personal vehicle insurance.
- Flexibility to work weekend and evening hours in alignment with scheduled programs.
4343 Leimert Park Blvd. Los Angeles 90008
LA Commons is a fiscally sponsored project of Community Partners, an Equal Opportunity Employer: minority/female/disability/veteran.