Originally founded in 1991 as Harlem RBI, DREAM has grown to annually serve more than 2,500 youth across East Harlem and the South Bronx through a network of six PreK-12, extended-day, extended-year DREAM Charter Schools and community sports-based youth development programs. Through our commitment to rigorous academics, social-emotional learning, deep family and community engagement, and health and wellness, we create lifelong learners who are equipped to fulfill their vision of success in and out of the classroom. We dream big, as well, with an aggressive five-year plan to expand to serve 3,500 students across seven schools—growing our organization's impact and leveling the playing field for all children. To learn more, visit wearedream.org.
The Facilities Porter is a dynamic individual who can serve as a reliable team player and is willing to learn. The Facilities Porter ensures the ongoing functionality and aesthetic of DREAM facilities by supporting the maintenance of all DREAM campuses. Like all DREAM employees, the Facilities Porter should demonstrate a strong commitment to the mission and values of DREAM and should have substantial expertise in all areas of responsibility. The Facilities Porter reports to the Senior Facilities Manager.
- Ensure the school, park, program spaces and office condo are kept clean and well maintained at all times;
- Perform outdoor maintenance, such as snow removal, salting and park maintenance;
- Responsible for room and event set up, as determined by staff needs and preferences;
- Utilize and maintain cleaning equipment, such as buffing machines and floor scrubbers;
- Assist with daily inspections of school building, park, offices and program spaces, checking for potential disruptions to daily operations, and addressing or reporting them accordingly;
- Assist with at-need maintenance and cleaning at multiple DREAM locations, and be familiar with maintenance schedules at all facilities;
- Receive and respond to facilities maintenance tickets;
- Assist with minor repairs, i.e. painting and patching, plumbing and carpentry repairs, if needed;
- Respond to building staff requests regarding building operations; prioritize schedules; and assign, plan, and monitor the work through online ticketing system;
- Help to maintain all required administrative records including, but not limited to, log books, work records, maintenance records, contractor visits, keys issued, etc;
- Assist in the regular inspection of all areas of the building and report deficiencies as well as suggestions for improvement;
- Provide excellent customer service to DREAM staff;
- Cultivate a learning and youth focused environment by responding quickly and efficiently to school and program related issues;
- Attend necessary school meetings to support maintenance management activities as they relate to the school's schedule.
- High School diploma or its equivalent, required
- A minimum of four years of experience in facilities, construction or maintenance
- Demonstrate a general knowledge, experience, and proficiency in several areas of maintenance (e.g., plumbing, painting, carpentry, masonry/concrete/tile, window glazing, electrical, mechanical, HVAC and boiler systems, roof repair, plastering/spackling, field/playground maintenance, and furniture repair)
- Extreme flexibility, with a strong work ethic and an entrepreneurial spirit to accommodate high level of responsibility and multiple priorities
- Exhibit a personality that demonstrates interpersonal skills to relate well with students, staff, administration, parents and the community
- Demonstrate the ability to communicate effectively, using proper grammar and vocabulary.
- Ability to commute between school sites
- Create high accountability for one's self as well as building staff and vendors
- Any current FDNY certificates of fitness, HVAC or plumbing certifications a plus
- Excellent organizational and problem-solving skills, and strong attention to detail
- Commitment to the mission and goals of DREAM Charter School
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds and have no difficulty bending, standing, climbing or walking, for short or long periods of time.
Physical Demands of Position:
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential responsibilities and functions of the job and are not meant to be all inclusive. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential responsibilities and functions of the job.
- Unless reasonable accommodations can be made, while performing this job the staff member shall:
- Stand, walk, bend, reach overhead, lift heavy objects, climb ladders, work at heights, and in tight spaces
- Reach with hands and arms and use hands and fingers to handle objects and operate tools, computers, and/or controls
- Use close vision, color vision, peripheral vision and depth perception along with the ability to focus vision
- Full-time with some evenings and weekend hours required.
- DREAM offers a competitive salary commensurate with relevant experience with the potential for an annual performance-based increase. The incoming salary range for this position is $40,000 to $45,000. New hires are typically brought into the organization at a salary closer to the start of the range depending on qualifications, internal equity, and the budgeted amount for the role. All staff are eligible for annual performance-based increases. Because we value staff tenure in each role, we do not currently cap salary ranges.
- We offer a comprehensive benefits plan, covering the majority of the employee premium for medical plans and subsidizing the majority of costs for a spouse/domestic partner and children. Other benefits include dental and vision plans, disability, life insurance, parenting benefits, flexible spending account options, generous vacation time and paid holidays, referral bonuses, professional development, an employee assistance program (EAP) and a 403(b) plan with employer matching up to 4%.
DREAM's VACCINATION POLICY
DREAM requires vaccination against COVID-19 for all employees. Reasonable Accommodations based on a qualifying disability or sincerely held religious belief are being considered in accordance with applicable law.
OUR COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY, EQUITY, AND INCLUSION
At DREAM, diversity, equity, and inclusion are a matter of mission.
From our schools to our playing fields, DREAM is committed to building a team where each individual can bring their full identity and experience to work because representation matters—it enriches our team culture, enhances our ability to innovate, and strengthens our impact in and out of the classroom. DREAM engages staff that represent and appreciate the diversity of our majority Black and Hispanic student body, while working to ensure that our practices are equitable, welcoming, and productive. We are dedicated to creating a world where youth, especially youth of color, have permission to dream—along with the tools and opportunities to make their dreams reality.
Come dream with us.
All Kids Can. This Kid Can.
DREAM is Family.
Fun is a Serious Value.
Teamwork Makes the DREAM Work.
Fail. Persist. Exceed.
<img src="https://www.click2apply.net/v/DKNmMLCgreJbYf2dRh2xZ7" />