About Commonwealth Land Trust, Inc.
Commonwealth Land Trust, Inc. (“CLT”) is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to provide affordable housing and supportive services to the most vulnerable individuals and families in Massachusetts in order to prevent homelessness, rebuild lives, and preserve neighborhoods. CLT’s portfolio includes 4 locations with over 150 units of single-room occupancy (SRO) supportive, low income housing and 70 affordable family housing units in Boston, and one property with 70 SRO units in Lawrence. Most of CLT’s supportive housing tenants have some combination of physical disabilities and mental health challenges, addictions, and histories of homelessness.
The position leads the organization’s daily accounting and financial operations, and manages the reporting of the organization’s affordable housing portfolio and service grants/contracts:
- Responsible for management and oversight of accounting, finance and reporting activities, including Accounts Receivable, Accounts Payable, Reporting and Budgeting and Cash Management functions.
- Ensures the accurate and timely processing of transactions and data.
- Responsible for supervision of the day-to-day activities of the Accounting team.
- Manages the accounting close process, including preparing or approving journal entries, reconciling accounts and providing variance comments for balance sheet and income statement.
- Prepares and submits monthly, quarterly and annual reports as required.
- Performs financial analysis, including budgeting, forecasting, budget monitoring and variance analysis. Reports on critical metrics for the affordable housing portfolio including Debt Service Coverage Ratio and Occupancy.
- Coordinates with senior staff to create department budgets. Works with CEO to prepare annual agency budget.
- Develops and oversees controls and systems in compliance with GAAP standards.
- Participates in and supports real estate development and program development activities.
- Supports the Board of Directors’ finance committee in conducting its responsibilities on behalf of the organization. Presents to the Board as needed.
- Manages relationships with external auditors, including establishing and managing schedules and deliverables. Coordinates with auditors to complete annual audit and form 990’s.
- Communicates with third parties, such as lenders, other financial institutions, service funders, subcontractors, vendors and others.
- Stays current on affordable housing industry standards and best practices.
- Degree in Accounting or Business Administration, or equivalent accounting/fiscal management experience.
- Experience with real estate/property accounting desired
- Non-profit experience strongly preferred
- 6+ years of progressively responsible experience
- Thorough command of accounting standards, regulatory requirements and GAAP
- Must be able to work effectively in a team environment and collaborate with Housing and Programs staff.
- Must have strategic focus with strong execution skills, strong time management skills, and a results orientation.
- Strong interpersonal, verbal/written communication and presentation skills
- Strong computer skills, knowledge of accounting and MS Office software, and any other relevant technology necessary to support organizational objectives.
Ability to work in an environment that promotes compassion and service
About Commonwealth Land Trust, Inc.
Commonwealth Land Trust, Inc. (“CLT”) is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to provide affordable housing and supportive services to the most vulnerable individuals and families in Massachusetts in…