As part of BCA’s senior leadership team, this position is responsible for designing and implementing the development plan, direct fundraising, development marketing, volunteer supervision and assistance in long range planning to support BCA’s annual and capital fundraising efforts. In addition, this position is responsible for managing and coordinating development activities and services provided by Burlington City Arts serving the greater Burlington cultural community.
Essential Job Functions:
- Develop and assess progress of fundraising campaigns and report recommendations to the Director and the Development Committee.
- Strategize, implement and oversee annual development plan including major gift program, annual appeals, corporate solicitations, grant writing and special events.
- Make recommendations regarding the development of the annual department budget and work with staff leadership team to establish strategic planning initiatives and long-term projections.
- Work closely with board members, volunteers and the Executive Director to deploy annual plan activities and coordinate their participation in meetings and events.
- Oversee and implement the major gift program, including prospecting, cultivation, solicitation, and relationship management. Manage a portfolio of major donors and provide support to Executive Director, board members, and program staff as necessary.
- Network within the community to develop relationships on behalf of the organization and pursue financial and in-kind support.
- Work with Executive Director and communication team to design collateral materials and campaign messaging for development activities.
- Oversee the research of corporations, foundations and government agencies that provide resources to the arts. Oversee the creation of grant proposals and ensure that deadlines for submission and reporting are met.
- Oversee the development and implementation of direct mail and digital campaigns and ensure that every donation is acknowledged in writing in a timely manner.
- Oversee quality of database(s), and analyze fundraising efforts.
- This position supervises the Development Coordinator position and directs the Marketing & Sponsorship Support Specialist’s fundraising-related activities.
Qualifications/Basic Job Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in related field and 3-5 years experience in development, sales or fundraising required.
- Extensive knowledge of the arts and cultural activities desired, preferably in the greater Burlington area.
- Experience working with CRM software required.
- Ability to write clearly for various purposes, from thank you letters to grant proposals to formal gift acknowledgement.
- Proficiency in keyboarding and intermediate computer skills.
- Ability to work in PC format with knowledge of Microsoft Office software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) Strong communication skills, both verbal and written, required.
- Ability to professionally represent City Arts and the City of Burlington inside and outside of City Hall.
- Ability to actively support City diversity, equity, and cultural competency efforts within stated job responsibilities and work effectively across diverse cultures and constituencies.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion as evidenced by ongoing trainings and professional development.
- Regular attendance is necessary and is essential to meeting the expectations of the job functions.
- Ability to understand and comply with City standards, safety rules and personnel policies.
Promoting a culture that reveres diversity and equity.
The City of Burlington and Burlington City Arts are proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and we are strongly committed to creating a dynamic and equitable work-force that mirrors the population and world that we serve. We do not discriminate on the basis of political or religious affiliation, race, color, national origin, place of birth, ancestry, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, crime victim status, veteran status, disability, HIV positive status, or genetic information in employment or the provision of services.
In addition to being an equal opportunity employer we actively encourage applicants who can contribute to our growing diversity to apply.