Local UnionRequisition Number:
Regional Offices - San Jose | San Jose | CA | 95110 | USADescriptionSEIU-USWW (United Service Workers West)Internal OrganizerSan Jose, California We are seeking energetic and passionate individuals interested in a social and economic justice career.About SEIU-USWW:
The Service Employees International Union (SEIU) is our country's fastest growing labor union with more than 2 million members. We have been on the cutting edge of building the power of low-wage workers in service industries and in leading the fight for issues such as health care, immigration, racial equity, gender equity, and the environment. SEIU United Service Worker West (SEIU-USWW) represents over 45,000 property services workers across California. Our union brings together janitors, security officers, residential, stadium, arena, and airport workers. Our mission is to lead the way to a more just and humane society; building power for all service workers by developing member leadership and activism; winning strong contracts, organizing unorganized service workers, building political and community power, and engaging in direct action that demonstrates our strength and determination to win. POSITION SUMMARY & RESPONSIBILITIES:
Working under the direction of the Deputy Director of Organizing and Organizing Director, the External Organizer will be part of the USWW External Organizing Department, which works to organize thousands of workers in California to join our union, engage workers to make gains in the workplace, and to address larger social/political issues in their communities. Examples of duties:
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS:
- Work with leaders and committees to educate, agitate, and motivate workers to action.
- Identify, recruit, train and develop worker leaders, stewards, and worker-led committees.
- Contribute to campaign planning and execution in collaboration with fellow organizers, communicators, and researchers.
- Planning, mobilization and turnout for worksite actions, union events, marches, etc.
- Conduct one-on-ones, site visits, and worker-led committee meetings.
- Maintain accurate and detailed worker and campaign information and records.
- Prepare and manage work plans, calendars, files, and re
- Effectively communicate and engage members in union political programs and activities.
- Perform other tasks and duties, as assigned. Work to support other key local union priorities, as needed.
- Proven commitment to social and economic justice, and to improving the lives of working people.
- Experience working on campaigns with a labor union, public policy, or non-profit organization is a plus, but not required.
- Knowledge of union organizing practices and principles is a plus.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, and ability to work in a fast-paced and diverse team environment.
- Ability to effectively plan and implement work and manage time, as part of a team and individually.
- Demonstrated ability to clearly convey information and ideas both verbally and in writing across audiences.
- Knowledge and experience with MS Word, Excel, Power Point, Gmail, social media platforms, databases, and teleconferencing.
- English/Spanish written and verbal is required
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
- Ability to travel in California and to work extended and irregular hours and work remotely.
- Valid U.S. driver's license, use of a car for work, and specified automobile insurance coverage are mandatory.
- All USWW employees are required to be fully vaccinated and report their COVID-19 vaccination status as a condition of employment.
- All employees must abide by USWW Safety Guidelines, including the required use of face covering while working.
SEIU-USWW is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Salary is competitive ($66,549 - $68,747/per annum) and negotiable based on experience. (Salaries are set by the Staff Union Contract.)
- Full benefits package including health insurance, dental and vision plans, a pension plan, and paid time off.
<img src="https://www.click2apply.net/v/xWkr5Dh2DayAMud2LCwVd6" />