Science Sandbox is the grantmaking arm of the Outreach, Education & Engagement department at the Simons Foundation, focused on engaging new audiences with science. We support and collaborate with programs that unlock scientific thinking in everyone - especially among those who don't think of themselves as science enthusiasts. Funded projects include, informal education experiences, live science events and media productions. Our funding criteria reflect our belief in the positive effects of connecting science in culture. For more on how we reach new audiences, watch our Stories of Impact series .
The candidate will work predominantly on the Science Sandbox portfolio and support other Outreach, Education & Engagement initiatives as required.POSITION SUMMARY
The Community Network Managerwill work directly with our existing community of Science Sandbox grantees. They will be responsible for building and maintaining a sense of community, making connections, and identifying new avenues for strategic collaborations amongst our awardees.
This is an exciting time to join the team, and this new role will help shape how we can best support our community of grantees who are doing innovative and effective science engagement around the US. Through active listening, we are committed to going beyond the role of funder. We want to support our grantee community in new ways that will strengthen and amplify their work. The Community Network Manager will be responsible for building a sense of community amongst our diverse portfolio and creating new opportunities to build capacity and collaborations.
This role will not be involved in the grantmaking process or in deciding who will be awarded a grant, rather they will support organizations once they are grantees.
The ideal candidate is a natural networker; they enjoy being around lots of different types of people and find points of connection amongst seemingly unconnected groups. They approach things creatively and, when it comes to new ideas, they feel comfortable taking calculated risks. They can execute projects to a high standard, on time and on budget. They are a strategic thinker and, using excellent listening skills, can find the common ground amongst different people to foster collaboration.ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES
- Build and maintain a sense of community amongst Science Sandbox grantees through mutually beneficial collaboration, ongoing communication, and in-person convening
- Work with the wider team to program the annual Science Sandbox Summit, based on the needs of the community.
- Work with internal teams/departments to organize events and retreats that bring together organizations at similar stages and develop curricula and content that will engage and support their growth.
- Maintain an understanding of the needs of the community through ongoing, active listening and engagement
- Keep up to date with the wider science engagement landscape in the US and find opportunities to share the work of our grantees in new spaces.
- Think creatively to unlock new opportunities that would help strengthen and amplify the work of our grantees.
- Keep an eye on the bigger picture and, where appropriate, connect our grantees with other funders and potential collaborators, as well as with work happening at the Simons Foundation.
- Be a bridge between the Science Sandbox grantee community and internal stakeholders and use gained insights to improve on-going initiatives.
- Create evaluation surveys to understand impact and solicit feedback
- Take on other special projects as needed
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience
Related Skills & Other Requirements
- At least 7 years of combined work experience in community management, building networks and outreach.
- Ability to prioritize and adapt to the demands of projects, meeting deadlines andremaining flexible, calm and focused.
- Strong communication and organizational skills, with a specific focus on attention to detail; high emotional intelligence; ability to speak comfortably and clearly with awardees.
- Creative thinking; being able to see and make connections where others wouldn't.
- Enthusiasm about the Science Sandbox mission
- Experience with organizing in-person events; from the operational planning and content creation through to delivery and evaluation.
- Commissioning and managing contractors, such as workshop providers and freelancers.
- Familiarity with the US science engagement landscape is preferred.
- Experience tracking budgets and forecasting spend
- Software proficient and eager to learn new platforms - must be conversant in Microsoft Office, including Excel and PowerPoint
REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS
- Outstanding integrity and professionalism
- Experience with science communication
- Knowledge of how to build and maintain professional communities
- Excellent organizational skills, judgment, and diplomacy.
- Strong written, verbal, and interpersonal skills to communicate effectively and discreetly with diverse audiences.
- Self-starter who can work independently or as part of a team
- Comfortable with deadlines, sometimes with quick turnarounds.
- Pays attention to detail and follow-through
- Proactive; can predict, identify, and resolve issues in a timely and effective manner.
- Able to work long and/or flexible hours for signature events when needed
The Simons Foundation's Diversity Commitment
- Please submit a rsum and cover letter stating your interest in the position.
Many of the greatest ideas and discoveries come from a diverse mix of minds, backgrounds and experiences, and we are committed to cultivating an inclusive work environment.The Simons Foundation actively seeks a diverse applicant pool and encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply.We provide equal opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, age, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic disposition, neurodiversity, disability, veteran status, or any other protected category under federal, state and local law.
<img src="https://www.click2apply.net/v/nVJKqLiG6kQwnf7BwHeWjY" />