Heritage Conservancy seeks a Communications Manager to develop and implement communications and marketing strategies to build relationships and inspire action. Identifying and crafting messages and images that resonate with the Conservancy’s existing and potential supporters and other key audiences will be critical to success in this position. You will be responsible for ensuring that the organization’s desired image, messages, quality standards, customer experiences, and communications outcomes are consistently achieved.
The Communications Manager will be responsible for crafting and telling Heritage Conservancy’s story through relevant media and channels, in ways that engage important audiences and help us achieve our mission goals. This responsibility includes:
- Work with program and fundraising staff colleagues to create compelling content and implement effective communications and marketing strategies.
- Oversee content and design development and functional enhancements for website.
- Manage social media platforms.
- Develop content and design for collateral and marketing materials. Serve as point person with printer and project manage the production and distribution of materials such as publications, newsletters, and annual reports.
- Serve as main contact for media and public relations.
- Ensure that that all organizational communications reflect an overall professional image and brand.
- Provide support and training/mentoring for other staff to improve their communication skills and knowledge in photography, writing, and messaging on social media platforms.
- Track and report on the effectiveness of all communications initiatives and develop innovative techniques for sharing the organization’s message.
RESPONSIBILITIES & SCOPE
- Act independently and in supervisor’s stead as needed; exercise independent judgment to identify and solve problems.
- Manage assigned projects, coordinating the work of peers and setting deadlines.
- Work within a budget and on deadline.
- Ensure compliance with Heritage Conservancy policies and procedures and external (donor/legal/IRS) requirements. Demonstrate sensitivity in handling confidential information.
- May supervise other Communications staff.
QUALIFICATIONS & ESSENTIAL SKILLS
- Proven experience writing content for marketing, communications, and development.
- Exemplary writing and editing skills; proficiency in grammar, editing, and proofreading; ability to express complex ideas in easy-to-understand language tailored to different audiences.
- Proven ability to manage a workload with multiple, often competing, priorities on a deadline.
- Comfortable taking initiative and able to adapt to changing organizational needs.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and ability to work in a team environment as well as independently.
- Proficiency with relevant software applications, e.g., email marketing/automation, website, graphic design, and social media.
- Must comply with workplace safety rules and regulations, including CDC guidelines related to COVID-19.
REQUIRED EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in English, communications, journalism, or comparable education/experience
- 7+ years of applicable experience in Communications/Marketing