Hospice of Santa Barbara, Inc., the second oldest Hospice in the United States, is a unique and innovative organization that serves children and adults who are either impacted by a life-threatening illness or grieving the loss of a loved one. All of our services are provided free of charge. We receive no support from government or insurance agencies, and are dependent on the support of the community for all we do. We have a highly committed staff and foster a positive, collaborative and creative work environment. We make a difference in the lives of hundreds of people every year and believe it is a privilege to be serving others.
ABOUT THE POSITION:
Reporting to the CEO, the Finance Manager/Director of Finance will continuously improve finance and accounting processes and adapt the infrastructure and systems needed as HSB continues to enhance its quality programming and increase capacity on an ongoing basis. The Finance Manager/Director of Finance will develop, build, and manage effective and streamlined financial systems, including financial reporting, payroll, treasury management, bookkeeping (A/P, A/R, J/E), and legal pertaining to Finance matters. Further details:
Financial Oversight & Compliance
- Protect assets by establishing, monitoring and enforcing internal controls. Implements and maintains effective written accounting control policies and procedures and regular reporting to the Board of Directors and Finance Committee.
- Provide guidance and insight for financial decisions by establishing, monitoring and enforcing policies, procedures and trends with overall potential recommendations to the CEO.
- Oversee financial policies and procedures for the timely, accurate and consistent recording and reporting of all financial matters ensuring compliance with appropriate GAAP standards and regulatory requirements.
- Monitor investment portfolio performance and work with CEO and outside advisor to assure adherence with Investment Policy Strategy and appropriately advise Board leaders.
- Consistently analyze and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner, monitor progress and changes and keep CEO abreast of HSB’s financial status and appropriately advise Board leaders.
- Oversee and monitor the recording of all gifts, grants, donations, bequests, fundraising events etc. to ensure accurate financial reporting and compliance.
- Ensure compliance with federal, state, and local legal requirements by researching existing and new legislation, consulting with outside advisors. Prepare all necessary reports and filings as required by various local, state, and federal government agencies (1099's, tax returns, filing with Secretary of State and filing of property tax exemption, etc.) and work with outside auditor/accountant as needed.
- Vet potential organizations, with shared missions and values who share expertise, resources and best practices, for strategic partnerships. Accomplished through performing due diligence, reviewing financial viability and economies of scale, and proposed programming partnership.
- Oversee financial forecasting and cash flow for administration, existing and proposed new programs.
- Coordinate with the Audit Committee and Board to facilitate the annual audit with outside auditor and including the filing of Form 990.
- Manage business insurance and ensure proper lines of coverage are in place (general liability, D&O, EPLI, auto liability, worker’s comp, commercial/personal property, volunteer/special risk group accident insurance.
- Work collaboratively with management team to ensure MOU’s (memorandum of understandings) with community partners and organizations are in place and compliant with industry standards and models.
- Develop tool to assess the costs of program and marketing initiatives and develop plans based on information and evaluate (i.e. Governmental, Foundation, Donors, etc.)
- Educate Senior Leaders on the budgeting process including: preparation of the annual budget and budgetary financial tools and documents. Own the internal budgeting process to ensure a balanced budget.
- Work with Managers in preparation of their program budgets.
- Prepare monthly reports to department Managers, monthly reports to the Board of Directors and any other financial reports requested.
- Participate as a member of the Budget and Finance Committee.
- Process semi-monthly employee payroll.
- Work cooperatively with managers, employees and Human Resources to handle all payroll inquiries, personnel changes, etc.
- Process semi-monthly 403(b) employee contributions and employer contributions.
- Process Accounts Payable, credit card receipts and employee expense reports. Ensure timely payments and maintain orderly vendor files.
- Process Accounts Receivable and donations. Ensure timely recording and maintain deposit records.
- Perform a variety of bookkeeping tasks including coding transactions and entering into QuickBooks.
- Maintain and reconcile monthly Balance sheet schedules.
- Process monthly various monthly allocations.
- Coordinate with Development department and perform monthly reconciliation of Donor-Perfect records to QuickBooks records.
- Perform monthly reconciliation of bank, credit card and investment statements.
- Primary liaison between HSB and various financial institutions where funds are held.
- Monitor daily, weekly, monthly balances to transfer funds between accounts to ensure operational obligations are met as appropriate.
- Perform ACH/Wires to vendors as necessary.
- Serve as a member of the Finance and Investment/Executive Committees.
- Serve as member of HSB’s Senior Leadership Team.
- Serve as member of HSB’s Leadership team to educate on financial matters and assist in growing programs and contributions
- Performs other duties as assigned by the CEO.
- Manage other accounting/bookkeeping staff. Provide guidance and oversight and performance management.
- Provide exceptional customer service to HSB staff.
WHAT YOU'LL NEED (Job Requirements):
- AA or BS Degree in Finance/Accounting or related field or equivalent work experience
- At least 3-5 years’ work experience in Finance/Accounting management-level position
- Demonstrated ability in fiscal and business management preferably in a nonprofit setting
- Proficiency in QuickBooks, Excel, data base management programs and finance management software
- Experience in budget preparation, accounting principles, procedures, systems development and administration
- Experience with payroll systems and procedures
- High integrity and openness combined with commitment to good governance.
- Energetic, highly-motivated, with an inquiring mind and passion for excellence and innovation in pursuit of growth and success
- Flexible and a self-starter; able to multi-task while also being willing to “roll up sleeves” and get tasks done
- Commitment to the internal standard by which we uphold professionalism, further the agency’s mission and work cooperatively and collaboratively as a team
To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com.