The American Dream School is hiring for the 2022- 2023 School Year!
About the American Dream School
The American Dream Charter School serves grades 6-12 in the Mott Haven section of the Bronx, targeting English language learners and immigrant students. The mission of the American Dream School is to develop academic excellence in both Spanish and English, preparing students to excel in college and become leaders in their communities.
The American Dream School is seeking a bilingual (Spanish/English) motivated, and engaging teacher who is committed to serving English Language Learners and cultivating bilingualism and biliteracy. The ideal candidate has a passion for experimenting, exploring and investigating with students. Project Based Learning is central to our academic approach to the sciences. This candidate will be able to create a curriculum based on interdisciplinary goals and objectives, combining Science, Math and Literacy Common Core standards. This class is also taught in both Spanish and English.
- Implement and support in the development of a rigorous cutting edge Science program that develops scholars as problem solvers and analytical thinkers.
- Develop and teach clear and engaging lessons that follow the rigorous, Common Core-aligned American Dream curriculum
- Hold students accountable for high behavioral expectations and implement American Dream’s behavior management system with consistency
- Utilize formal and informal assessment data to drive instruction and ensure student mastery of standards using Illuminate Education, our assessment platform.
- Implement a co-teaching model consistently to best support student learning needs.
- Promotes a sense of urgency in learning
- Assist in the distribution, collection, and grading of tests and homework assignments
- Create meaningful interim assessments that will help drive instruction and prepare students for success on the NYS Science Exam
- Maintain accurate records and create reports
- Build a warm and inclusive classroom environment, implementing the practices of Responsive Classroom
- Accept ultimate responsibility for the academic progress of his or her students, and work to actively overcome setbacks
STUDENT SUPPORT SERVICES
- Prepare reports on student academic performance for staff and/or administrators
- Tutor and assist students individually or in small groups
- Create annual goal for students’ IEP
- Implement and track the progress of annual goals of students’ IEPs as it pertains to your content area
- Write progress reports (Present levels of Performance) for students as requested
- Participate in yearly IEP conferences
- Establish appropriate goals and implement modifications for each student, as needed
OTHER PROFESSIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES
- Actively participate in grade-level meetings, collaborative planning, and professional development, including an annual Teacher Academy
- Participate in teacher-parent conferences regarding students’ progress or problems
- Supervise and manage students in all spaces and during transitions, upholding ADS core values, rules, and policies
- Instruct, maintain, and monitor students in the use and care of equipment and material
- Assist with breakfast/lunch duties, as needed
- Actively participate in opportunities to strengthen her/his own pedagogical skills as well as contribute to the learning of colleagues
- Contribute to the school’s smooth and efficient operation by fulfilling required administrative duties, responsibilities, and maintaining open and proactive communication with colleagues
- Create and maintain bulletin boards to showcase student work
- Engage in a minimum of two peer observations per month and provide written feedback
Minimum Qualifications: Candidate must be able to provide proof of being fully COVID-19 vaccinated.
- Bilingual Spanish/English
- Bachelor’s degree in Science or related field, Master's preferred
- New York State Teaching Certification 1-6 or Special Education 1-6 is required
- Strong organizational, data tracking, and analysis skills
- Maintain confidentiality, meet deadlines, complete assignments with consistent accuracy
- Tech-savvy; familiarity and experience with Microsoft Office, Gmail, Google docs/drive
- Job Type: Full-time