Who We Are:
Zearn is the nonprofit educational organization behind Zearn Math, the top-rated math learning platform used by 1 in 4 elementary students nationwide. Zearn Math supports teachers with research-backed curriculum and digital lessons proven to double the learning gains of a typical year of instruction. Our instructional materials – including 400+ hours of digital math learning – are free for teachers and families. Zearn also offers school- and district-wide licenses and professional development to support implementation. Everything Zearn does is driven by the belief that every kid can be a math kid.
Learn more about us at https://about.zearn.org/.
Zearn is seeking a detail-oriented, independent, and resourceful attorney to join the Legal Team to work with Zearn business teams at all levels of the organization. Areas of focus include a range of incoming and outbound commercial transactions such as school contracts, vendor agreements, strategic partnerships, and data privacy.
What This Role Will Do:
● Draft, review and negotiate MSAs, Data Protection Addendums (DPAs), SOWs, order forms, NDAs, partnership agreements, vendor contracts, and other related contracts to support various business teams on time sensitive matters
● Support the General Counsel in developing policies and processes on a broad range of commercial, privacy, and legal compliance matters
● Provide day-to-day commercial legal support, business-focused counseling, and advice to the organization.
● Partner with internal stakeholder teams to ensure agreements are consistent with internal policies and processes
● Interpret business requirements into legal/contractual requirements and vice versa
● Analyze and mitigate potential risks involved with specific contract terms and Zearn strategies
● Create, maintain, and update internal contract templates and commercial strategies to support the business, and utilize internal systems to improve efficiencies
● Serve as primary contact for internal and external contract-related inquiries
● Stay current on relevant industry, commercial, privacy, and other laws, regulations, and developments that affect the company’s operations
● Assist with various legal projects to support the efficient management of contracts as the company scales
What You’ll Bring To The Role:
● Minimum of 5+ years combined experience at a law firm and/or in-house at a global company drafting and negotiating commercial contracts, (e.g., NDAs, SaaS Agreements, Professional Services Agreements, Service Level Agreements and Partner Agreements)
● previous experience at SaaS organization a plus.
● J.D. or an equivalent degree from an accredited law school.
● Active license to practice law in the United States.
● Good understanding of data privacy or protection laws and experience negotiating DPAs.
● Familiarity with student data privacy laws is a plus
● Strong writing, drafting, editing and communication skills, including the ability to think creatively to overcome objections and identify solutions to opposing positions during contract negotiations
● Keen attention to detail
● Ability to work cross-functionality with different departments to reach consensus on whether to accept non-standard contract terms.
● Ability to work independently, set priorities, meet deadlines, and resolve complex problems with a thorough understanding of the changing legal needs in a fast-growing business environment
● Organizational skills and ability to prioritize and work independently and willingness to be flexible and adaptive in a highly dynamic environment
● Excellent oral and written communication skills.
● Proven experience in leading and operating in a fast-paced, flexible culture and excel under pressure while maintaining an accountable, collaborative, positive, and pleasant attitude
● A commitment to Zearn’s mission of providing an exceptional education to all children
● The willingness to comply with Zearn's vaccination (subject to legally valid exemptions) and Personal Protective Equipment policies
This role is remote, but you may be asked to travel as needed for business or for team building purposes.
Compensation & Benefits:
The expected salary range for this role is $140,000-$160,000.
We offer a competitive benefits package, including comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans, short- and long-term disability, life insurance, 401K matching, parental leave, a generous Holiday policy and a flexible PTO policy. We also offer a collegial and passionate culture and the potential to positively impact the lives of millions of children.
Zearn is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.
Who We Are:
Zearn is the nonprofit educational organization behind Zearn Math, the top-rated math learning platform used by 1 in 4 elementary students nationwide. Zearn Math supports teachers with research-backed curriculum and digital…