POSITION OVERVIEW: The Human Resource Manager will lead and direct the routine functions of the Human Resources (HR) department including hiring and interviewing staff, administering pay, benefits, and leave, and enforcing company policies and practices.
WORK SCHEDULE: 40 hours per week, Monday – Friday
SALARY: Commensurate with experience
DEPARTMENT: Strategic Operations
REPORTS TO: Director, Operations
- Recruits, interviews, hires, and trains new staff
- Oversees the daily workflow of all human resources functions
- Provides constructive and timely performance evaluations at the following intervals: 30-, 60- and 90-days, as well as mid-year and year-end
- Handles discipline and termination of employees in accordance with company policy
- Partners with the leadership team to understand and execute the organization’s human resource and talent strategy particularly as it relates to current and future talent needs, recruiting, retention, and succession planning
- Provides support and guidance to management, and other staff when complex, specialized, and sensitive questions and issues arise; may be required to administer and execute routine tasks in delicate circumstances such as providing reasonable accommodations, investigating allegations of wrongdoing, and terminations
- Manages the talent acquisition process, which may include recruitment, interviewing, and hiring of qualified job applicants, particularly for managerial, exempt, and professional roles; collaborates with departmental managers to understand skills and competencies required for openings
- Analyzes trends in compensation and benefits; researches and proposes competitive base and incentive pay programs to ensure the organization attracts and retains top talent
- Creates learning and development programs and initiatives that provide internal development opportunities for employees
- Oversees employee disciplinary meetings, terminations, and investigations
- Maintains compliance with federal, state, and local employment laws and regulations, and recommended best practices; reviews policies and practices to maintain compliance
- Maintains knowledge of trends, best practices, regulatory changes, and new technologies in human resources, talent management, and employment law
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal, negotiation, and conflict resolution skills
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to prioritize tasks and to delegate them when appropriate
- Ability to act with integrity, professionalism, and confidentiality
- Thorough knowledge of employment-related laws and regulations
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or related software
- Proficiency with or the ability to quickly learn the organizations HRIS and talent management systems
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelors degree in Human Resources, Business Administration, or related field required
- A minimum of three years of human resource management experience preferred
- SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP highly desired
- Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer
- Must be able to lift 15 pounds at times
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
- Salary is competitive and will be commensurate with experience, starting at $70,000.
- Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- 401K match
- Cell phone reimbursement
- Health and Wellness Program
- Other reimbursements
HOW TO APPLY: Please submit your employment application, along with all requested documents, via our employment application portal.
NOTE: Define American goes through an incredibly intentional process for hiring new team members and will accept applications on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Thank you for your patience and interest in joining our family of cultural change-makers!
Define American is a leading national media and culture nonprofit organization that uses the power of stories to transcend politics and elevate the conversation about immigrants, identity and citizenship in a changing America. We were founded in 2011 by Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist Jose Antonio Vargas and named one of the world’s most innovative companies by Fast Company in 2019 and 2020.
Define American is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.