Marketing and Communications Manager
- Terms of employment: Full-time, exempt
- Reports to: Director of Development
- Supervises: Interns and volunteers
- Location: Los Angeles or Remote
- Benefits: Remote work, flexible hours, health benefits, room for advancement
Animal Outlook (AO) is a national nonprofit 501(c)(3) animal advocacy organization. AO strategically challenges the status quo of animal agribusiness through undercover investigations, legal advocacy, corporate and food system reform, and empowering everyone to choose vegan.
Elevate organization’s public profile, mainstream reach, growth and financial sustainability in collaboration with development messaging, and role within the movement by amplifying the work and mission of the organization and the external eminence of the individuals within it through constructing an effective voice and communication brand and playing a publicist role, amplifying our voice inside and outside the movement, increasing our visibility in the media and our owned channels, and broadening our relationships with multiple stakeholders and key players with the movement.
- Evaluate the strength of AO’s communications and work with senior leadership, and key departments to develop and implement a program for organization’s messaging, voice, brand, and vision
- Design, manage, and execute AO’s messaging across platforms, including in communications to donors and supporters, the general public, earned media, and other avenues
- Develop a deep understanding of the organization’s work and its niche within the movement; craft and apply messaging to maximize the impact and reach of AO’s work
- Execute a complete public relations strategy, set of processes and metrics, and written material, and integrate this into our larger organizational strategic plan
- Develop and arrange publicity opportunities such as speaking engagements, appearances, and interviews
- Serve as point person for earned media
- Serve as primary contact for AO’s PR partner
- Create pitch lists for various projects to complement those used by PR partner, with an emphasis on relationship building with reporters and media contacts
- Draft written material for a variety of purposes within the organization, including press kits, press releases, development materials, web materials, etc.
- Draft talking points for our campaigns, investigations, legal advocacy, outreach, and any other public storytelling opportunities, and prepare our staff for press visits, conferences, and interviews
- Review and edit all materials by team members before publication, as well as any publications distributed in-house.
- Support all AO programs (investigations, legal, vegan advocacy, corporate outreach) and development
- Manage owned media. Collaborating with Development team and Digital Engagement Strategist, identify, plan out, and coordinate how to get widespread exposure and reach from programmatic work.
- Manage platforms used for internal communications and project management (Workplace, Asana)
- Coordinate workflow across departments for consistency in messaging, including use of outside resource for graphics design.
- Create style guide and brand voice outlines for all public relations, marketing, advertising and other vital departments
- Develop materials to educate staff on communication practices
- Coach and assist team members on improving communication skill
- Perform communications research and monitor the progress of various communications strategies
Qualifications/Who We’re Looking For:
- Excellent complex problem solving skills and analytical skills
- Extremely detail-oriented and organized
- Strong writing and copyediting, public speaking, and communications skills and experience
- Positive, assertive, and outgoing attitude, and strong interpersonal and social skills
- Expertise and continuing professional development in the best practices of the public relations and communications fields
- Commitment to the core values of the organization and its mission
- 5+ years experience working in communications, public relations lor similar work for an advocacy-oriented organization
- Master's degree or higher in public relations, communications, journalism, marketing, or related field preferred
- Proven track record of developing communication strategies, implementing key initiatives, and creating and maintaining strong traditional and online media relationships
- Management experience, specifically in a remote-work environment
- Deep knowledge of farmed animal protection issues, or those in a similar advocacy field such as environmental protection, wildlife, or companion animal advocacy, and public health
- Proficiency in WordPress, SEO, social platforms, and graphic design
- Experience using Google Suite, Workspace, Asana
To apply, please visit https://animaloutlook.org/jobs/ . Applications submitted via Idealist will not be considered.