The Foundation for the Global Compact seeks a highly motivated technology management professional to support digital solutions for the world’s largest corporate sustainability initiative. The Foundation for the Global Compact directly supports the United Nations Global Compact which is a call to companies to align strategies and operations with universal principles on human rights, labour, environment and anti-corruption, and take actions that advance societal goals, such as the Sustainable Development Goals.
The Head of Digital will both report to, and work closely with the Managing Director of the Foundation for the Global Compact and will be at the forefront of overseeing the creation and upkeep of technology solutions that will allow the organization and individuals within it to thrive. The Head of Digital will oversee the governance and implementation of the organization's open-source technology solutions; this includes application development and maintenance of the organization’s technology infrastructure. Key software includes Ruby on Rails and Salesforce. The UN Global Compact strives to implement a modern digital strategy to better connect with our network of 13,000+ organizations around the world. The Head of Digital will bring insightful and innovative ideas for how this strategy can be shaped and will lead a lean, agile team to bring this strategy to life.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Oversee functionality and governance of UN Global Compact public-facing digital properties. This includes responsibility for the features of the main UN Global Compact website and database, which contains data from over 13,000 organizations around the world.
- Demonstrated experience with website content management, preferably in a leadership role (i.e., setting and enforcing direction, not just executing direction from others); the Head of Digital must be able to sustain a strong governance role and lead change management efforts for organizational stakeholders.
- Experience and fluency with one or more leading Web Content Management platforms; We are seeking a professional with experience transitioning an organization to a new Web Content Management platform, as this will be one of the most important immediate tasks.
- Ability to lead the website redesign effort with minimal external support; alternatively, demonstrated experience in effectively managing website design vendors.
- Keen knowledge and comfort with overseeing the implementation of data integrations between software platforms and services.
- Manage and set priorities for a team of technology professionals to align their workflow with the organization’s requirements and budget.
- Work front-line with organizational stakeholders to define requirements for technology solutions.
- Responsible for existing UN Global Compact software solutions used by participants, general public and employees, including our CRM (i.e. Salesforce) and reporting system (i.e. Communication on Progress, currently a native-built application). Where needed, recommend course of action for enhancing the organization’s ability to deliver on its current and future technology needs.
- Manage developers to create new content and features in line with organizational priorities.
- Technology Management: Ability to manage and guide team that provides web user interface design, web programming skills, software requirements, software architecture, software development fundamentals, object-oriented design, multimedia content development, software debugging.
- Ethical Practice: Ability to integrate core values, integrity and accountability throughout all organizational and business practices.
- Leadership and Navigation: Proven ability to lead and develop a team; engage and motivate others and contribute to initiatives and processes within the organization.
- Critical Evaluation: Ability to gather and interpret data to support making business decisions and recommendations. Ability to thrive in a complex environment and distill complex situations.
- Agility: Fast, curious learner who questions the status quo and is capable of making sense of complexity. Ability to connect actions / decisions to broader (downstream) implications and can adapt to achieve results.
- Communication: Ability to speak and write clearly and effectively; listen to others; correctly interpret messages; effectively convey information; demonstrate openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- Environmental & Organizational Awareness: Leverage environmental & organizational insight to improve talent and business outcomes; demonstrates enterprise thinking. Ability to understand the organization’s overall strategy, operations and organisational model.
- Global and Cultural Effectiveness: Ability to value and consider the perspectives and backgrounds of all individuals.
- Relationship Management: Ability to manage interactions to provide service and to support the organization.