The United Food and Commercial Workers Union is committed to offering job opportunities to ensure that all workers secure dignity and equality in their workplace. The Administrative Support Specialist performs administrative support and general secretarial duties to the Communications and Digital Departments. The incumbent must be able to work with minimal supervision and to exercise independent judgment in the prioritization of their responsibilities and the work organization.
Duties and Responsibilities:
· Assumes administrative support for the Directors and provides general secretarial support to departments’ professional staff including, but not limited to, typing, preparing and submitting expense vouchers and itineraries for the Directors, opening and distributing mail, filing, faxing, preparing check requests, answering routine telephone calls, composing correspondence, producing daily attendance reports, assisting with inventory control, scheduling appointments, updating calendars, and arranging meeting and conference call arrangements and logistics.
· Serves as the front desk representative for the Communications and Digital Departments.
· Assists the Communications Department with administering UFCW's Member Education programs (Free GED, Free Foreign Language, Free College, Workforce Essentials).
· Reviews vendor invoices to ensure accuracy and maintains an accurate and efficient filing system for billing purposes for Communications and Digital Departments.
· Prepares check requests to provide payment to vendors for Communications and Digital Departments.
· Reconciles and processes monthly American Express (AMEX) check requests for Communications and Digital Departments. This includes tracking and compiling all receipts and approvals for payment.
· Prepares weekly attendance and maintains files for requests for time off for Communications and Digital Departments.
· Handles incoming and outgoing mail for Communications and Digital Departments.
· Inputs expenses for the Directors of Communications and Digital Departments.
· Manages flow of time sensitive materials that must be approved by Directors of Communications and Digital Departments.
· Manages department-wide Outlook Calendars, including Department Calendars, Directors’ Calendars, and 8th Floor Conference Room Reservations.
· Manages Zoom and teleconference accounts for Departments and schedules calls and meetings as needed.
· Arranges teleconference calls, off-site meeting logistics, member travel arrangements as needed for Communications Department’s video and photo shoots.
· Formats UFCW letters to be approved by the President’s Office.
· Prepares and sends approvals to the President’s Office on behalf of Department Directors.
· Prepares, formats and edits ads in Adobe Illustrator for UFCW Sponsorships as needed.
· Maintains an accurate and organized file of all UFCW Local Communicators, including their contact information, and number of members per local.
· Provides back-up administrative/secretarial support during absences and/or emergencies to maintain efficient office operations.
· Assists Department Directors in preparing the annual budget as needed.
· Assists with Director correspondence and scheduling as needed.
· Assists with daily implementation of administrative policies.
Develops and maintains courteous and effective working relationships with employees at all levels of the organization, as well as representatives of external organizations, and is punctual and timely in meeting requirements of performance, including, but not limited to, attendance requirements and work deadlines. Physical attendance is required.
Duties, responsibilities and activities may change, or new ones may be assigned at any time, in the UFCW’s discretion. UFCW employees function as a team and, occasionally, and on a temporary basis, employees may be required to perform tasks usually performed by others. This might occur if a team member is absent or unavailable to complete a project and the team is responsible for the deadline. Because employees are required to work as a team, you are required to step up and fill in for a team member who is absent or needs assistance from time to time.
Qualifications and Experience:
· Requires previous secretarial experience. Graphic design is a plus.
· Excellent working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Outlook and SharePoint applications. Familiarity with Microsoft Office Suite (Excel and PowerPoint), Adobe Photoshop, InDesign applications is desirable, but not required. Must be willing to learn new software applications.
· Typing of 65 wpm
· Ability to professionally compose correspondence. Ability to effectively present information verbally and through written communications. Ability to work closely with staff to accomplish organizational goals, resolve problems, and develop new systems and procedures as required.
· Familiarity with budgets. Ability to apply judgement and understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to exercise good judgment.
· Work assignments may require leaving the headquarters building. Occasional long hours maybe necessary.
Compensation: Salary commensurate with experience.
Duration: This is a full-time position; posting closes when position is filled.
Vaccination Requirement: The UFCW requires all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment, consistent with applicable law.
*Skills assessments with passing scores are required as part of our pre-employment process. *
UFCW is an equal opportunity employer. Women and people of color are encouraged to apply. Reasonable accommodations will be provided pursuant to the state and federal laws.
The United Food and Commercial Workers Union is committed to offering job opportunities to ensure that all workers secure dignity and equality in their workplace. The Administrative Support Specialist performs administrative…