Role & Responsibilities
Provide leadership for ERT field sites and staff, including planning and conducting rapid needs assessments and interventions, creating work plans for emergency responses, ensuring quality implementation of WASH activities, line managing assigned ERT WASH team members, and acting as team leader at ERT field sites.
The goal of the Emergency Response Team (ERT) WASH is to reduce morbidity and mortality among populations affected by acute emergencies through the provision of basic water, sanitation, and hygiene promotion services. The Medair ERT works across all states of South Sudan in response to acute emergencies: displacement due to conflict or disasters, returnee/refugee influxes, disease outbreaks, and in emergency level malnutrition. The ERT has teams across four sectors – Health, Nutrition, Emergency Shelter/Non-Food Items, and WASH, with teams often working together in field sites. Multiple emergency response sites are active at any given time.
Workplace & Conditions
Field-based position in Juba, South Sudan, with frequent travel to field locations across the country. Take a look at Medair’s work in South Sudan.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible. Full time, 24 months.
Key Activity Areas
Technical Design and Oversight
- Develop and manage work plans for field activities – regularly updating work plans and objectives to meet changing needs and gaps. Consult with WASH Project Manager to determine budget and timelines for activities. Prepare standard designs and BoQs of WASH infrastructures.
- Oversee the technical design and implementation of the projects – including water supply, sanitation and hygiene promotion activities – in liaison with the WASH Project Manager and WASH Advisor.
- Support regular monitoring and evaluation assessments against ERT project indicators, in liaison with the Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning team. Contribute to future plans for WASH activities and to related proposals and budgets.
Staff Management and Leadership
- Line manage WASH Technician/s. When requested, cover for the WASH PM position.
- Conduct appraisals, manage R&R and holiday schedules, manage contracts, provide development and training opportunities, and support the physical and spiritual wellbeing of WASH staff.
- Management and supervision of re-locatable staff, locally-recruited staff, casual labourers and contracted workers.
- Communicate additional HR needs to the WASH PM and Human Resources team in Juba.
- Delegate tasks to WASH staff as appropriate (finances, managing casual labourers, etc.).
- Act as the field site leader, in charge of security and staff health issues, and coordination between teams.
Coordination and Reporting
- Take part in all WASH Coordination meetings (or delegate other team members to attend).
- Coordinate with relevant WASH partners, UN agencies and government WASH offices (Rural and Urban Water) or other government agencies involved in WASH planning and intervention.
- Liaise with authorities at the beginning of assessments & intervention, and throughout WASH activities.
- Feedback to ERT WASH Project Manager and work with guidance and direction from the WASH PM.
- Provide a weekly report to the WASH Project Manager in Juba – detailing activity updates, work plan updates, resources needed, and other key information.
- Draft assessments and intervention ToRs and reports in time at the request of the WASH Project Manager. Regularly liaise with the WASH Project Manager.
- Track all relevant project related data including disaggregated beneficiary numbers, target total population, and WASH-related data and contribute for donor reporting.
- Monitor stock levels, and submit stock and purchase requests to the WASH Project Manager in a timely manner. Ensure an accurate record of all assets and stocks at field sites are maintained and circulated.
- Manage local procurement for all WASH items. Manage WASH team movements at field sites - including completing MovCos for flights and assigning vehicle movements.
- Supervising the management of field team budget, manage submission of all finance, stock and purchase requests to Juba, and manage WASH finances, procurement, warehousing, and transport.
- Provide security leadership in the field sites, informing WASH Project Manager of all updates.
- Contribute to development of security assessments for new ERT locations before field teams travel.
- Ensure the WASH team adhere to SOPs – and promote good planning and communication.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job posting covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- University degree in a field relevant to WASH-related field (e.g. civil engineering, hydraulic engineering, water resource engineering, mechanical engineering, hydrogeology/hydrology).
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
Experience / Competencies
- 2 year post-qualification professional experience in a relevant field as a Manager.
- Experience working in a WASH programme covering the three subsectors - Water supply, Sanitation and Hygiene promotion desirable.
- Technical experience with WASH infrastructure (e.g. latrine designs, borehole installation, hand pump repair, and construction of hand dug wells) and software/training (behaviour change communication)
- Understanding and appreciation of the links between the hardware (water, sanitation facilities) and behaviour change.