Launched in 2019, THE CITY is New York City’s preeminent nonprofit, nonpartisan, local news organization. Working across all five boroughs, our award-winning journalists bring deeply diverse skills and backgrounds to the task of covering New York’s neighborhoods, holding the powerful to account, and making sense of the greatest city in the world at a moment of unprecedented urgency. THE CITY is currently in a growth phase that will strengthen its business capabilities, build its contributed income and membership base, and expand its newsroom.
THE CITY is seeking a mission-oriented, strategic leader with experience managing finance and operations in a high-growth organization. Reporting to the Executive Director (ED), the Director of Finance and Administration will be responsible for overseeing overall organizational operations, including finance, human resources, administration, business planning, legal, and information technology.
The Director of Finance and Administration will also serve as a thought partner to the leadership team and will work closely with them to strengthen overall organizational capacity and impact.
This position is an exciting opportunity for an individual with a strong finance and operations background to help strengthen and expand the organization.
- Develops and implements the annual operating budget, oversees development of grant budgets, monitors performance against budget, regularly reports results.
- Cultivates an organizational culture of shared financial management, develops tools for forecasting and scenario planning, brings financial perspective to strategic decisions.
- Presents financial statements to the leadership team, Finance and Board of Directors.
- Oversees accounting and fiscal procedures (to support both internal controls and funder reporting) including payroll, A/P and cash, and monthly close.
- Manages fiscal reporting on grants and donor agreements.
- Manages external audit.
- Works with the Finance Committee to execute investment policy, implement investment decisions, communicate with investment managers/accounts, oversees creation of quarterly investment reports.
- Manages the participation and engagement of members of the Finance Committee and effectively communicates and presents critical financial matters to the Board of Directors and leadership team.
- Ensures compliance with tax and regulatory requirements.
- Oversees all legal and risk management issues.
- Manages and oversees THE CITY’s human resources (HR) functions, including: recruitment and hiring; benefits administration and oversight; new employee orientation, and employee retention strategies.
- Supervises the HR work of the Business Manager and external consultants.
- Manages the organization’s employment policies, staff structure, compensation and benefits, annual performance assessment, hiring and termination practices, and staff and professional development.
- Oversees administration of employee benefits including health and dental insurance, disability insurance, life insurance, workers compensation, and retirement plan;
- Work closely and transparently with all external partners, including third-party vendors and consultants.
- Manage and track organizational needs for computer hardware and software, and networking.
- Ensures that the organization has effective policies and processes for all IT needs.
- Oversee risk management and legal activities, including: charitable state registrations, business insurance; memorandums of agreement; contracts; leases, and other legal documents and agreements.
- Ensure compliance with all applicable laws and regulations.
- Oversee general office management functions to ensure an effective, high quality work environment and efficient, daily operations of physical plant and equipment.
- Oversee all administrative functions as well as facilities to ensure efficient and consistent operations as the organization scales.
- Proven management skills and experience, including 5 - 7 years of progressive work experience at a senior level in the non-profit sector
- Proven track record in organizational budgeting and financial management.
- Experience with and understanding of general accounting, grant tracking, payroll management, human resources, and general business systems and functions. Demonstrated success in developing and monitoring financial systems
- Thorough familiarity with fund accounting and non-profit financial management
- Experience managing year-end audit processes
- Experience in grants management including compliance and reporting for grants and contracts
- Proven track record in developing and managing operational systems in a high growth organization; strong project management skills
- Experience with personnel practices and human resources
- Experience in the nonprofit journalism sectors plus
- Superior management skills; ability to influence and engage direct and indirect reports and peers;
- Resourceful problem solving skills
- Tireless attention to detail and ability to complete work with the highest level of accuracy and efficiency
- Ability to work in an entrepreneurial, fast-paced environment. Strong work ethic, flexible, and able to multitask.
- Ability to synthesize data, make decisions, and communicate priorities to staff. Demonstrated resourcefulness in setting priorities, executing multiple tasks, and achieving objectives.
- At least 5-7 years of experience managing finance and operations in a high growth organization.
THE CITY is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Individuals of color, women, people with disabilities, immigrants, veterans, lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer people, and those with lived experiences in the communities we serve are strongly encouraged to apply.
Salary Range: $130,000 - $140,000
Benefits: Generous paid time off: 20 vacation days, 8 paid holidays, 2 floating paid holidays, and 8 paid sick days.
Medical, Dental and Vision
Location: New York City (Obviously)