At this critical time for lower-income, frontline communities and people of color, Jobs to Move America ─ JMA is uniquely positioned to advance a powerful agenda for equitable job creation and expanded access to training for historically underrepresented groups.
Who we are ─ About Jobs to Move America:
Jobs to Move America is a national and multi-regional strategic policy center that works to transform public spending and corporate behavior using a comprehensive approach that is rooted in racial and economic justice and community organizing. We seek to advance a fair and prosperous economy with good jobs and healthier communities for all. To learn more, visit our website: www.jobstomoveamerica.org.
What You’ll Do ─ Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The Workforce Equity Coordinator supports or leads the negotiation and implementation of key workforce programs and components outlined in current or future community benefits agreements relating to recruitment, hiring, training and workforce development with manufacturing firms with a focus on racial, gender, and economic equity. The Coordinator also leads the development and maintenance of relationships with workforce groups, agencies and partners to advance JMA’s workforce equity goals, secure funding and programmatic resources for those efforts, and build familiarity with community benefits agreements amongst the workforce community.
· Act as an effective spokesperson for JMA’s vision, work and campaigns, including effectively communicating JMA’s workforce equity values to external stakeholders and groups, including other workforce groups, WIOA operators, public agencies and elected officials
· Gather and produce actionable ideas and steps for CBA negotiation and implementation
· Work with coalition partners and stakeholders to identify systemic gaps, challenges and shortcomings of the existing employment system to inform solutions and conditions that could be implemented in CBAs to recruit, train and employ more underrepresented populations
· Develop confidence and competence in coalition partners to negotiate for proposed solutions in CBAs; Engage traditional and non-traditional workforce organizations in advocating for better working conditions and training for workers; Identify opportunities for workers and partners to advocate for JMA’s vision for recruitment, training and employment practices
· Produce materials, summaries and documents to communicate the need and advantage of community benefits agreements designed with input from coalition partners, including ways to evaluate CBA implementation and training or hiring program performance
· Work with partners, public agencies and coalition to identify, apply for and administer training and recruitment grants and resources that lead to the development of union-recognized apprenticeship and pre-apprenticeship opportunities
· Contribute to strategic campaign development via incorporating workforce development strategies into comprehensive campaign planning and identify key stakeholders to engage around good jobs and training opportunities for active campaigns
· Comply with all organizational policies and procedures, including timely attention to administrative responsibilities
· Contribute to JMA’s organizational development, for example assisting with fundraising, providing peer evaluations, and participating in JMA staff committees (not to exceed 20% of time)
About you ─ Required Qualifications:
· Minimum of two years’ experience in a related field; 3 or more years required for senior level position
· Demonstrated ability to recognize and understand how economic inequity has been driven in part by race, gender, and other identities and is committed to developing strategies to combat in workforce and economic development
· Ability to effectively communicate to the public about “high road”, worker-centered training investment, the need for targeted hire and a supportive and accountable environment for workers historically underrepresented in manufacturing
· Excellent writing skills for a policy-making audience
· Demonstrates knowledge of the current challenges faced by job seekers and the existing workforce system; grasps the resources necessary to strengthen recruitment and training for bus and rail car manufacturing
· Exhibits familiarity with apprenticeship and pre-apprenticeship programs, the union difference and need for alternatives to undergraduate degrees for highly skilled, high wage jobs
· Ability to support and engage partners and allies to further JMA’s corporate campaign goals, vision and implementation of existing agreements.
· Ability to recognize and leverage existing programs and resources to supplement training, recruitment and workforce efforts of JMA and its coalition partners.
· Ability to build consensus, understanding and agreement amongst workforce partners on high road training and employment standards
· Ability to develop others, including mentoring interns or newer staff, developing training plans and delegating
· Ability to build and sustain authentic and productive working relationships with colleagues across race and other group identities, including JMA employees as well as external partners
· Demonstrated self-awareness, empathy, and social skills in work and interpersonal interactions
· Ability to participate in a culture of feedback with a commitment to continually strengthening practice of “courageous conversations,” including:
o communicating clearly and directly with colleagues
o being proactive to resolve conflicts and misunderstandings, especially across differences
o consistently strengthening ability and practice in giving and receiving both positive and constructive feedback to support each other’s learning and personal growth
· Maintain flexibility: be ready to take advantage of unexpected opportunities and adapt quickly to change
· Must be able to work under pressure and meet deadlines, while maintaining a positive attitude
· Ability to work independently and to carry out assignments to completion
· Familiarity with GoogleSuite
· Ability to safely and successfully perform the essential job functions consistent with the ADA, FMLA and other federal, state and local standards, including meeting qualitative and/or quantitative productivity standards.
· Ability to maintain regular, punctual attendance consistent with the ADA, FMLA and other federal, state and local standards
· Must be able to talk, listen and speak clearly on telephone with reasonable accommodations
JMA Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Statement
We are an EEO/affirmative action employer and encourage applications from all qualified candidates regardless of race, ethnicity, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, or disability. We work to ensure fair treatment of applicants and employees and actively enforce zero-tolerance policies against discrimination and sexual harassment. Those who identify as persons of color, women, veterans, or formerly incarcerated persons, and/or have had experience working with one or more of those groups are strongly encouraged to apply
JMA Diversity and Inclusion Statement
JMA believes that diverse, engaged, and motivated employees are essential to achieving our goals of economic, racial, and social justice. JMA believes that each employee's voice is valuable and that when all employees contribute ideas to the organization’s operation, it enhances the success of the organization overall.
At this critical time for lower-income, frontline communities and people of color, Jobs to Move America ─ JMA is uniquely positioned to advance a powerful agenda for equitable job creation and expanded access to training for historically…
● Employers pay 100 percent of medical, dental, and vision premium
● Generous PTO: 12 days paid vacation, 12 sick days, 9 federal holidays, 12 personal days per year, 2 floating holiday
● Annual Salary increases
● JMA contributes 5% of the employee salary towards their 401k plan after 6 months of employment.
● Training and professional development opportunities are available upon completion of the probationary period.
● A strong commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion policies and practices.
● JMA is a unionized workplace. This position is a confidential position and not a member of the bargaining unit.
● Covid-19 Work from home monthly $75 stipend
● Cell phone Reimbursement
● Qualifying Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) employer
Work from home office set up provided if needed
● Employers pay 100 percent of medical, dental, and vision premium
● Generous PTO: 12 days paid vacation, 12 sick days, 9 federal holidays, 12 personal days per year, 2 floating holiday…
Use the link provided to apply. Only applications submitted via this process will be considered. No phone calls, please. Due to COVID-19, interviews will be conducted virtually. As part of the candidate screening process for this role, applicants will be asked to complete a writing assignment and technical skills assessment.
Use the link provided to apply. Only applications submitted via this process will be considered. No phone calls, please. Due to COVID-19, interviews will be conducted virtually. As…