Job Title: Director of Communications and Development
Location: 3410 W Lake St. Chicago, IL
Position Type: Full Time
About Revolution Workshop
Revolution Workshop is a social enterprise that provides carpentry and woodworking workforce development for unemployed or underemployed people in partnership with area businesses. We deliver financial independence and careers through skills, hope, and resilience.
The Director of Communications and Development provides strategic communications and fundraising vision for the organization while implementing all related tactical work necessary to achieve established goals. This dual role—with a focus on communications and individual giving—works in partnership with the Executive Director, Program Director, Grant Writing Consultant, Board of Directors, and org-wide staff to develop, implement, and continuously improve the systems and channels that fuel the organization’s work.
- This position reports directly to the Executive Director
Communications responsibilities (70%)
- Shape, manage, and implement a communications plan—in coordination with the Executive Director and other relevant stakeholders—to support the organization’s priorities and strategic initiatives.
- Build and engage a broad network of supporters through social media, email marketing, public relations, and other communication channels, including the development of stories and newsletters.
- Create and implement campaigns that drive brand awareness of the organization amongst all stakeholders.
- Inform and educate stakeholders on issues and policies connected to the work of RW through clear, audience-focused messaging and content.
- Prospect for, pursue, and manage inbound media opportunities.
- Cultivate a broad range of partnerships resulting in monetary and non-monetary relationships.
- Build out and implement strategies focused on expanding the market for our social enterprise.
- Provide strategic guidance and support to staff and board leadership in their work to build communications-focused partnerships, including recommending strategies and crafting materials.
- Design, update, and maintain communications tools and channels that enable the work of our staff, including branded assets, templates, and collateral.
- Evaluate and continuously improve communications strategies and efforts.
Development responsibilities (30%)
- Shape, manage, and implement overall fundraising plan—in coordination with the Executive Director, Grant Writing Consultant, and other relevant stakeholders—to support the organization’s priorities and strategic initiatives.
- Craft and implement creative and compelling individual and annual giving campaigns to expand the base of supporters.
- Develop and implement strategies to grow and deepen major donors, including via events and other efforts
- Develop and implement—in partnership with Executive Director and Business Services Manager—strategies and tactics to secure corporate sponsorships.
- Oversee the private and government grant funding pipeline, including the work of the Grant Writing Consultant, and contribute via relationship management and drafting interim and final reports.
- Lead and project manage fundraising events.
- Provide strategic guidance and support to staff and board leadership in their work to build fundraising relationships and partnerships, including recommending strategies and crafting materials.
- Maintain Salesforce and manage all data entry related to fundraising efforts, including donations, grants, sponsorships, etc.
- Oversee the organization’s use of Salesforce for non-programmatic efforts, including donor and funder management, etc.
- Evaluate and continuously improve fundraising strategies and efforts.
- Participate in organization’s high-level strategic planning and identification of key priorities.
- Collaborate with leadership team and other relevant staff to develop and articulate the organization’s value proposition, priorities, and brand architecture.
- Support the organization’s measurement and evaluation work, including tracking against and reporting out on key performance indicators.
- Analyze and interpret internal data and external research to support planning and development of org-wide initiatives.
- Serve as an external-facing member of leadership when called upon.
- A minimum of seven to ten years of experience in marketing and communications, with a preference for those individuals with a background in nonprofit communications and development.
- Vision for and expertise in community brand building
- Strong written and verbal skills with a knack for distilling complex social justice and policy initiatives into compelling narratives and stories, all through an equity and inclusion lens.
- Demonstrated success at working effectively in a diverse, collaborative team environment, with skills in promoting inclusion and cultural responsiveness.
- Ability to toggle between strategy and implementation with ease.
- Expertise developing content for and cultivating supporters through social media and email marketing.
- Expertise developing and implementing individual giving campaigns from inception to creative to completion.
- Experience cultivating relationships with major donors, funders, community partners, and more.
- Experience crafting and implementing public relations strategies.
- Experience managing and updating websites using a CMS platform.
- Knowledge of using Salesforce as a data management platform preferred.
- Intermediate use of Adobe Creative Cloud products for graphic design, including InDesign and Illustrator, preferred but not required.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $55,000.00 - $65,000.00 per year
- Health insurance
- 403(b) with 3% match
- Employee assistance program
- Paid time off
- Professional development assistance
All individuals wear a mask while inside the building, regardless of vaccination status. Air purifiers in every enclosed space. Desk shields provided for lunch, etc. Hand sanitizer is readily available throughout the facility.