Tides is seeking an experienced Sr. HR Manager who is passionate about accelerating the pace of social change! The Sr. HR Manager is responsible for managing a portfolio of clients and providing high quality HR advisory services in the areas of employee and management coaching, employee relations, performance management, compensation and benefits, compliance, and general policy and procedures. This position also supports the departmental leadership by leading cross-functional teams and organizational projects to improve internal processes and increase organizational effectiveness. The Sr. HR Manager is responsible for uplifting and embodying Tides core values - Respect, Accountability, Creativity, Equity and Empowerment - in all areas of work, engagement with team members and partners.
The ideal candidate will be comfortable collaborating with cross-functional teams to achieve the organization’s strategic goals and has the ability to thrive in an fast-paced, agile working environment.
Working at Tides connects you with world-class teammates, enduring relationships, and an inspired sense of purpose—while our employee benefits support our team's talent and well-being. This is an exciting time to join Tides. In the past, Tides staff have worked predominantly from our offices in San Francisco and New York. Today, our hybrid work model supports staff with remote work from anywhere in the United States. We will be reopening our offices in the future, date to be determined.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
HR Advisory Services Leadership (40%)
- Collaborate with department leaders in Client Services, Finance and People to lead consistent and high-quality advisory services to partners
- Identifies, develops and initiatives innovations and solutions where precedents and procedures may not exist
- Provides HR leadership on cross-departmental initiatives such as annual partner assessments, cost to service evaluations, and operational improvements
- Develops new policies, procedures, guidelines and templates for the internal team as well as partners
- Leads the development and rollout of HR communications such as the quarterly digest
- Manages HR functions throughout Intake process; reviews and approves applications, conducts HR assignments, and facilitates smooth onboarding process
- Collaborates with the Director, Strategic Partnerships and other cross functional team members to respond to requests for bids and other inquiries for new initiatives
- Track upcoming spin and closes; assures effective partner services throughout process
- Provides mentorship and support to other teammates and service team members
HR Management (60%)
- Manages a caseload of social venture partners, which operate as nonprofits nationwide
- Delivers high quality customer service; develops and maintains strong working relationships with assigned partner groups
- Provides coaching and HR advisory for employees and managers on a variety of employment matters such as performance management, compensation and benefits, employee relations, risk and compliance and employee engagement
- Effectively resolves employee relations matters using good judgment as well as conflict resolution skills
- Determines plans of action and successfully resolves employment issues based on established policies, procedures and HR best practices
- Interprets, develops and applies HR policies and procedures; ensures compliance with internal policies as well as federal, state and local labor regulations
- Conducts investigations in alignment with Tides guidelines; interviews relevant parties and generates investigate reports with findings and conclusions
- Partners with social venture partners to develop clear, compliance and accurate job descriptions
- Provides guidance on employee classifications such as FLSA exemptions, contractors and volunteers
- Processes employment requests such as hires, terminations and employment changes
- Conducts periodic on-site HR visits to partner sites to assess HR needs and overall relationship
- Ensures effective teamwork and coordination of HR service delivery
- Administers special projects on the HR team to support operations, technology and/or compliance, as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Bachelor's degree in Human Resources, Organizational Development or other related field or study
- 7+ years of relevant experience experience, managing all facets of the function
- Strong working knowledge of Human Resources best practices, policies, procedures and federal, state, local laws
- Ability to balance competing demands and satisfy the conflicting needs of a multi-customer based constituency with tact, diplomacy and kindness
- Strong project management skills: planning and organizational skills to develop initiatives and collaborate with others to ensure outcomes on aligned goals
- Ability to speak clearly and persuasively regarding sometimes challenging employment matters
- Ability to hold self and others accountable for high-quality, timely, and effective results
- Ability to cooperate and work collaboratively toward solutions that generally benefit all parties
- Ability to engage in a direct and truthful manner; ability to present accurate and appropriate information
- Demonstrated ability to hold information confidential with excellent judgment
- Ability to adapt to a dynamic and fluid workplace while maintaining enthusiasm and thriving in such environment
- Acts with integrity, empathy, curiosity and transparency
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong analytical, investigatory and research skills; ability to create well-written investigation reports.
- Master’s degree in Human Resources, Organizational Development or other related field
- Demonstrated experience managing or mentoring a team
- Experience managing clients and delivering HR services including mitigating challenges, balancing compliance and client needs
- Demonstrated experience in change management and organizational development processes
- Strong leadership skills and the ability to influence decision making through strong relationships, expertise and data
Please submit a resume and a thoughtful cover letter online. Your cover letter should express your interest in working for Tides and your qualifications for the role. You may also share your detailed LinkedIn profile with us. Tides is an Equal Opportunity employer. We value diversity and inclusion and we look forward to reviewing applications from all who are qualified to apply.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Tides is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage applications from women, people of color, and bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, or medical condition including acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS) and AIDS-related conditions. Also pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we encourage and will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Applicants with Disabilities:
Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. If you seek an accommodation, please advise in writing at the time you apply.