Non-Bargaining SalaryRequisition Number:
Washington | DC | 20036 | USADescriptionSEIU (Service Employees International Union)JOB TITLE:
Assistant Director - Executive Communications GRADE:
All USAORGANIZATIONAL OVERVIEW:
We are the Service Employees International Union (SEIU), a union of about 2 million diverse members in healthcare, the public sector, and property services. We believe in and fight for our Vision for a Just Society: where all workers are valued and all people respected—no matter where we come from or what color we are; where all families and communities can thrive; and where we leave a better and more equitable world for generations to come. We are an anti-racist union determined to check corporate power and uproot structural racism through unions—worker power and collective action—and government—legislative and political action. We fight for Unions for All and a Government that Works for All so that all of us, across race and place, can have power together in unions and participate fully in our democracy.PURPOSE:
Provide high-level strategic communications management and expert-level writing communications for SEIU's International Executives with a principal focus on maintaining coordination of topline messaging and voice for SEIU International President, including public speaking engagements and internal union communications. PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES:
(Any one position may not include all of the specific duties and responsibilities listed. Examples provide a general summary of the work required and should not be treated as a total and complete list of expected duties to be performed by employees in the classification.)National Communications
Management and Administration
- Facilitates and executes content strategy and development of communications outputs developed for SEIU's International Officers.
- Provides strategic management leadership and support of content and information for speech writing and other visibility work for leadership.
- Manages and executes executive communications for the SEIU International President for internal events such as International Executive Board meetings and Executive Committee meetings.
- Performs other duties as assigned in support of critical national communications priorities of the national communications team.
- Manages officers' public speaking for the department, including planning, budgeting, and project management, and coordinates with leaders in divisions, departments, and field on those issues.
- Assists with media relations as an integral component of the national media team.
- Helps prepare and monitor communications budgets.
- Recruits, reviews, and recommends hiring for potential communications staff.
- Directly responsible for retention of communications staff, including training, feedback, reviews, skill, and career development (if applicable).
- Performs other duties as assigned in support of the work of the department.
Interfaces with high-level organizational and external contacts, including: SEIU officers, International senior staff, project and program managers, field, political, and organizing directors, local union officers, and staff; external: news media, politicians, government officials, partners, and allies.; vendors: design and production companies, consultants, pollsters, freelancers, video and multi-media producers, and advertising agencies.DIRECTION AND DECISION MAKING:
Reports to the Deputy National Director of Communications and works with extreme independence.EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor's degree in communications or related field. Five to eight years of related work experience or a combination of education and experience would provide for the following knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Proven expertise in writing national speeches and executive communications at the principal/CEO level.
- Thorough knowledge of media relations and social media communications
- Ability to represent the International Union with local leaders, members, staff, and outside organizations and utilize independent judgment and a high level of professionalism.
- Demonstrated ability to manage own work and work of others without supervision.
- High level of judgment and the ability to take initiative and work and organize time independently.
- High level of judgment and discretion in resolving problems within the Communications Department and throughout SEIU.
- Ability to work with International and local union elected leaders and senior staff in complex and sometimes politically sensitive situations.
- Skill in ensuring sophisticated choices are made about appropriate vendors and support services.
- Must be able to handle multiple “priority” projects simultaneously and set and meet deadlines, and ensure that staff team does the same.
- Thorough knowledge of digital and print media.
- Excellent writing, verbal, and analytical skills.
- Demonstrated capacity to continuously develop knowledge and skills related to use of rapidly changing technology.
- Knowledge of unions or other advocacy organizations.
- Skill in the use of personal computer including Microsoft Office Suite.
Work is generally performed in an office setting, but job requires frequent work in the field or in other settings to perform the tasks required to complete assignments. Must be available for frequent travel with overnight stays and able to work long and irregular hours.VACCINATION REQUIREMENT:
Candidates will be required to show proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 upon commencing employment. Reasonable accommodations will be considered on a case-by-case basis for either a) a certain medical condition(s); or b) on the basis of sincerely held strong religious beliefs and practices; c) as otherwise required by law.
<img src="https://www.click2apply.net/v/xWNm4Nu25wyyLid2LCwVd6" />