Launched in 1983 as Public Interest Projects, a 501(c)(3) public charity, NEO Philanthropy is a New York based national leader in innovative philanthropic solutions. We lead large-scale collaborative grant-making funds on a range of social justice issues, provide fiscal sponsorship and management to projects and campaigns, manage donor advised funds and develop organization and field-focused capacity building initiatives.
Scope of Work:
Reporting to the Assistant Controller, the Staff Accountant/ Senior Staff Accountant is responsible for managing the entire cycle of in-coming funds – accounts receivable/ pledges receivable – including tracking pledges, cash receipts, pledge payments, recording entries, and reconciliation. This position will also assist the Assistant Controller with the month-end and year-end closes by making accurate and timely journal entries, as well as performing bank reconciliations and various account analyses. In addition, the position will assist with annual audit process.
The Staff Accountant/ Senior Staff Accountant will work very closely with other staff members in the finance department, as well as other departments.
NEO Philanthropy has its headquarters in NYC and the Finance department are based in that office. NEO HQ has a hybrid work remote structure based on job function. It is our expectation that this role will be able to come into the NY office either once a week or twice a week, remaining remote for other days of the week.
All NEO staff are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. Requests for medical and/or religious exemptions from the vaccination requirement will be considered on an individual basis, to the extent required by law.
Accounts receivable/ Pledges receivable (in-coming funds)
· Manage the A/R & P/R function, including:
- Track all cash receipts including checks, wires, ACHs, and stocks.
- Track pledges receivable and corresponding pledge payments.
- Handle weekly deposit process.
- Make accurate and timely A/R & P/R entries.
- Review all supporting documents to ensure that they are in compliance with internal guidelines and policies.
- Review in-coming grant agreements to determine the conditionality of pledge.
- Create receivable invoices and track payments
- Perform monthly P/R reconciliations
Month-end/ Year-end close-outs
· Assist the Assistant Controller with the month-end and year-end closes by preparing monthly and quarterly journal entries.
· Review corporate credit card transactions.
· Perform monthly bank reconciliations.
· Monitor bank activities on a daily basis and record transactions.
· Perform necessary account analyses and reconciliations on a monthly or quarterly basis to identify errors in posting or omissions.
· Review and reconcile balance sheet accounts; conduct additional analysis if needed.
· Assist the Chief Financial Officer and Assistant Controller with the annual audit and 990 process by preparing necessary schedules.
· Ensure all supporting documents are properly stored and organized for audit.
· Filing and record retention.
· Backup responsibilities for other Finance Team members when needed.
· Other duties, or special projects as assigned by the Chief Financial Officer and Assistant Controller.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
· Minimum of three (3) to seven (7) years of relevant and progressive work experience with a non-profit organization;
· Solid understanding of not-for-profit accounting principles and Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) is must;
· Strong ability to analyze financial information and reports;
· Strong ability to perform account analyses;
· Strong verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills;
· Advanced working knowledge and proficiency in MS Excel;
· Knowledge of accounting/finance system (NetSuite a plus but not required);
· Work effectively and collaboratively in a team environment as well as independently;
· Manage multiple tasks in fast-paced work environment and meet deadlines; highly organized and detail-oriented;
· Mission-driven and passionate about social justice; and
· Bachelor’s degree in accounting/ finance strongly preferred; a combination of equivalent experience and education will also be considered.
Position Basis: Full-time, exempt
NEO Philanthropy is an equal opportunity employer. We consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other legally protected status. Only those whose applications are being considered will be contacted. No phone calls please.
NEO Philanthropy Careers:
NEO Philanthropy is committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and enables each of us to realize our potential. NEO Philanthropy's work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, and all other classifications protected by law in the locality and/or state in which you are working.
Launched in 1983 as Public Interest Projects, a 501(c)(3) public charity, NEO Philanthropy is a New York based national leader in innovative philanthropic solutions. We lead large-scale collaborative grant-making funds on a range…
NEO provides generous benefits, which includes medical, dental, vision, life, long term disability, and pet insurance. We also administer FSA, Commuter benefit, and 401k retirement plans and have generous Paid Time Off and an Employee Assistance Program (EAP).
NEO provides generous benefits, which includes medical, dental, vision, life, long term disability, and pet insurance. We also administer FSA, Commuter benefit, and 401k retirement…
Interested applicants should send an application that includes a resume, cover letter, and pay requirements to: email@example.com. Please include “Staff Accountant – [name]” in the subject of your email.
Interested applicants should send an application that includes a resume, cover letter, and pay requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Staff Accountant – [name]” in…