Originally founded in 1991 as Harlem RBI, DREAM has grown to annually serve more than 2,500 youth across East Harlem and the South Bronx through a network of six PreK-12, extended-day, extended-year DREAM Charter Schools and community sports-based youth development programs. Through our commitment to rigorous academics, social-emotional learning, deep family and community engagement, and health and wellness, we create lifelong learners who are equipped to fulfill their vision of success in and out of the classroom. We dream big, as well, with an aggressive five-year plan to expand to serve 3,500 students across seven schools—growing our organization's impact and leveling the playing field for all children. To learn more, visit wearedream.org.
DREAM (formerly known as Harlem RBI), is seeking individuals to deliver academic enrichment courses at its summer program for middle school youth, DREAM University (DU). DU is a 5-week program designed to provide scholars academic and recreational opportunities that will help them continue to build the educational, health & wellness and social-emotional skills needed to position them to successfully enter the upcoming school year. The program includes components focused on SEL development, academic support and sports/recreational activities. All DU Summer Teachers will report to the Program Team.
- Implement 6th, 7th, or 8th grade ELA or Math curriculum in an engaging way, modifying it to meet the needs of diverse learners;
- Supervise and manage students at all times using positive discipline techniques and proactive interventions to ensure physical, emotional and internet safety;
- Model and encourage positive participation in all daily activities;
- Lead a daily team meeting with students and assume advisor responsibilities with family outreach and student accountability tracking;
- Bachelor's Degree required, Masters in Education preferred;
- Experience as a middle school ELA or Math teacher, strongly preferred;
- Ability to plan engaging and developmentally appropriate lessons;
- Experience facilitating groups of adolescents;
- Ability to take initiative and maintain flexibility;
- Willingness to work in a team environment and meet high expectations for students and staff;
- Deep embodiment of DREAM's mission and values;
- Must be able to work in-person at the program site during program hours.
- Hours are on an as-needed, on-call basis and could fall during the below dates and times:
- July 5 - August 4, 2023
- Monday-Thursday, 8am-1pm
- DREAM - 20 Bruckner Boulevard, Bronx, NY
- DREAM offers competitive compensation commensurate with relevant experience with the potential for a seasonal increase. The hourly rate for this position for incoming staff is between $49 and $55. New hires receive an offer within the range based on their number of years of experience as a lead teacher and internal equity.
DREAM's VACCINATION POLICY
DREAM requires vaccination against COVID-19 for all employees. Reasonable Accommodations based on a qualifying disability or sincerely held religious belief are being considered in accordance with applicable law.
OUR COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY, EQUITY, AND INCLUSION
At DREAM, diversity, equity, and inclusion are a matter of mission.
From our schools to our playing fields, DREAM is committed to building a team where each individual can bring their full identity and experience to work because representation matters—it enriches our team culture, enhances our ability to innovate, and strengthens our impact in and out of the classroom. DREAM engages staff that represent and appreciate the diversity of our majority Black and Hispanic student body, while working to ensure that our practices are equitable, welcoming, and productive. We are dedicated to creating a world where youth, especially youth of color, have permission to dream—along with the tools and opportunities to make their dreams reality.
Come dream with us.
All Kids Can. This Kid Can.
DREAM is Family.
Fun is a Serious Value.
Teamwork Makes the DREAM Work.
Fail. Persist. Exceed.
<img src="https://www.click2apply.net/v/qRmV4yH4wPNoaHxgpfBzeg" />