The Residential Support Specialist (RSS) works with youth in the residence and community and offers development of skills and supports they need to master mental health challenges while reducing the negative impact of those challenges on what matters most to young people: relationships, school success, recreational activities, health and wellness, day-to-day living and early career experiences. The RSS works with a team in the assigned residence to foster a therapeutic environment, teach independent living skills (such as hygiene, housekeeping, & meal preparation), and model relationship building skills to youth and young adults with mental health challenges.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Teaches and monitors appropriate social skills among members. Assists members in learning to express and regulate emotions.
- Co-leads groups and activities. Engages with members about members’ goals and interests.
- Manages emergencies and crises within milieu utilizing Therapeutic Crisis Intervention (TCI) skills. Training in TCI is provided by Thresholds.
- Keeps the residence neat and clean. Advises Supervisor or Team Leader of any maintenance problems or issues.
- Creates a safe, clean, interesting, and inviting atmosphere that honors members' diverse cultural backgrounds.
- Assists members with any prescribed medication.
- Maintains proper residential coverage: remains on work site and on-duty until relief coverage is engaged, or until proper coverage is arranged with supervisor approval.
- Provides accurate and timely daily documentation.
- Ensures compliance with Thresholds members’ residential agreements.
- At least 21 years old
- High school diploma or GED certificate
- One of the following is preferred:
- Bachelor’s degree in Psychology, Social Work, or related field
- 5 years of supervised professional experience in the field of social services
- Valid driver’s license preferred
- Covid-19 Note
- In the spirit of caring for one another and our community, please note that upon accepting an offer of employment from Thresholds, you will be required to share proof of a Covid-19 vaccination. The requirement is subject to accommodation in compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
WHAT WE OFFER
- Generous Paid Time Off Policy (Vacation, Sick, and Personal Days)
- 4 Medical Insurance Plans
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- 403(b) with 3% employer match
- Mileage Reimbursement
- Public Service Loan Forgiveness
- Supervision for Clinical Licensure at no cost (LSW, LCSW, LPC, LCPC)