Beyond Literacy (BeLit) is a non-profit adult education agency dedicated to providing a range of literacy services, including reading, writing, math, life and work skills, to help a diverse population of learners meet their needs and achieve their personal and employment-related goals.
Beyond Literacy follows all CDC, City and State health and safety guidelines to protect staff and students from COVID 19 infection. Currently classes are offered in a hybrid (in-person & remote) and remote formats. Employees work in person 3 days per week and the other days remotely. BeLit has locations in West Philadelphia, Kensington and Center City. Employees must provide proof of full vaccination status upon hire.
As a member of the Leadership Team, the Director of Education works under the direct supervision of the Chief Program Officer. The Director of Education leads the Education Team, including supervising all instructors of PA Department of Education (PDE) funded classes. The director heads up the Program Improvement Team (PIT) and oversees the work of the In-House Professional Development Specialists (IHPDS) in their work with the Professional Learning Communities (PLC) for instructors. The Director of Education works to build BeLit’s capacity to develop and deliver high quality adult education programs using all available resources including program data, staff expertise, and adult education research literature and identified best practices.
- Provide leadership in the development of department goals and objectives. Oversee, develop, maintain, and recommend departmental policies and procedures to the Chief Program Officer.
- Direct PDE grant-funded programs in line with PDE Adult Education and Family Literacy Guidelines for the current program year. Oversee contract compliance and attainment of contract objectives in conjunction with the Chief Program Officer.
- Supervise and monitor the performance of instructors of all PDE-funded classes. Set clear performance expectations, provide training and modeling, as well as one-on-one check in meetings to promote best outcomes.
- Conduct classroom observations and provide timely feedback to help instructors achieve competency in essential skills.
- Guide data-driven program improvement and support the development, implementation and evaluation of the annual PDE Program Improvement Plan.
- Develop and monitor progress on corrective action plans submitted to PDE and/or individual development plans for staff.
- Responsible for recruitment, hiring and onboarding/training of all instructors for PDE-funded classes.
- Oversee management and coordination of professional staff development and program improvement activities.
- Lead staff in continuous improvement processes for delivering educational services in a blended and remote/hybrid learning environment.
- Oversee the work of the PT Volunteer Coordinator, who works with Classroom Aides, and provide support as needed.
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Education or related field; Master's degree preferred.
- Minimum of three (3) years of classroom teaching experience required; experience in adult or alternative education strongly preferred.
- One to 3 years of program management/administration and supervisory experience required. Experience supervising instructors of Adult Basic Education and/or English for Speakers of Other Languages a plus.
- Experience with administration of assessment tools such as CASAS or TABE desirable.
- Experience instructing using remote platforms (e.g., Zoom, Teams) preferred.
- Experience with e-Data, Access, LACES or Excel for data management highly desirable.
- Experience with the use of a variety of technologies in the classroom, such as IXL, Essential Education, Burlington English and Khan Academy a plus.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Knowledge of adult education best practices, College and Career Readiness Standards and standards-based lesson planning.
- Leadership skills necessary to lead a team of five or more individuals.
- Ability to work as a member of a team and maintain a student-focused, solutions-oriented outlook.
- Ability to analyze data and use results to inform program development/improvement.
- Ability to work well with diverse populations and develop positive professional relationships with instructors, students, colleagues and partners in the field.
- Strong organizational and time management skills; ability to work independently and manage multiple priorities while meeting deadlines.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Proficiency using Microsoft Office Suite; experience using Microsoft Office 365/SharePoint a plus.