The Communications and Outreach Manager oversees all communications and outreach work for the Institute and its Centers, programs and projects. The Communications and outreach manager works with the Institute’s senior leadership to develop communications strategies and priorities organization-wide.
- Collaborates with senor leadership and other members of the Institute to determine content and topics for website, newsletters and social media.
- Supports the launch of the Institute’s new branding, Website, public announcements and other related ephemera;
- Writes or oversees the drafting, editing, and reviewing of stories that showcase and highlight the Institute's work such as newsletters, announcements, website content and social media content;
- Maintains mailing lists and website content;
- In collaboration with the senior leadership, identifies opportunities for social media and online communication for internal University audiences and for external audiences
- Develops, plans, guides, and executes the Institute’s social media and outreach strategy, including the creation of unified messaging that advances strategic goals and maximizes impact and engagement;
- Develops fundraising and marketing messaging in collaboration with Executive Director.
- Advises Institute’s Centers and affiliates in long-term communications strategy and support marketing and communications of various initiatives;
- Monitors media trends to optimize the Institute’s approach and communicates and educates others across the Institute on the best practices for outreach, social media and fine-tunes them based on data and analytics;
- Supports Institute programs and developing Websites for programs that include, but are not limited to the Obama Presidency Oral History Project, the COVID-19 Memory Project, and other under-development projects;
- Seeks opportunities to publicize and promote Institute’s work.
Event management, Education/Outreach
- Designs, plans, schedules, promotes and executes the Institute’s interdisciplinary events such as seminar series, symposiums, conferences and workshops;
- Oversees the design, creation, and management of the launch of the Institute and community initiatives taking into consideration diversity, equity, and inclusion;
- Develops and cultivates collaborative relationships with inside and outside the Columbia community related to the mission of the Institute;
- Help plans, coordinates, and implement admissions and recruitment efforts for the undergraduate summer program, summer internship and other educational initiatives;
- Supports the completion of the summer program, summer internship and any other educational initiative Oversee and coordinate training grant applications.
- Bachelor's degree and/or equivalent related experience required. 0-2 years related experience
- Familiarity with Facebook Page management and analytics; and Twitter and other social media platforms; and Competency with the Adobe Creative Suite.
- Background with developing and managing programs and communications to advance an organization's mission, brand, and goals.
- Experience planning and writing newsletters, press releases, briefing memos, or other print materials.
- Experience managing digital elements of campaigns and initiatives, including web content, social media, and email management.
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically and creatively and work well under pressure. Experience with managing, editing, and maintaining a website.
- Experience at facilitating and coordinating meetings, networks, and committees.
- Ability to effectively represent the Center to internal and external constituents.
- Ability to function independently and to exercise discretion and judgment in sensitive matters.
- Excellent computer/technology skills and proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint), Google productivity applications, etc.
- Ability to identify and respond to the needs of the organization, be part of a collegial team, adapt to changing priorities, and ability to balance competing assignments.
Equal Opportunity Employer / Disability / Veteran
Columbia University is committed to the hiring of qualified local residents.