Jacob A. Riis Neighborhood Settlement is Western Queens largest independent youth development not-for-profit organization. We operate diverse programs from Cure Violence, Immigrant Services, Senior Services, and Youth Services, elementary and middle school after-school programs; summer day. We run evening teen centers; and college readiness, as well as youth employment programs. Fusing arts and culture with the SEL framework is a cornerstone of our youth development approach. In its over a century of service, Jacob A. Riis Neighborhood Settlement continuous to evolve and be a lively and vital beacon for the full lifespan of all of Western Queen.
We are looking for a Program Director who will be responsible for the overall planning and operation of the Center in accordance with the Jacob A. Neighborhood Settlement mission, goals, and policies. Provide leadership, direction, training, and support to on-site staff and volunteers in the safe and structured operation of the center. Must have experience in DYCD/ Advantage programs.
Major Duties & Responsibilities
● Under the management of the Director of Youth Services, establish goals and objectives for the Center and effectively oversee all programs and operations.
● Ensure compliance with Agency policies. Prepare and organize Program Reports on a scheduled basis.
● Knowledgeable of DYCD COMPASS Framework and Benchmarks
● Direct contact and reporting to DYCD Program Manager, oversight responsibility of DYCD Site/Audit visits and attendance at DYCD Director meetings; Work with Agency personnel to ensure that organizational objectives are accomplished.
● Communicate, collaborate and attend all Resident Association meetings; Develop, coordinate and ensure compliance with all Youth Council meetings
● Plan and oversee the effective development and administration of programs and services. With assistance and direction from the Agency, recruit, interview, hire and train staff and volunteers.
● Oversee and evaluate programs and staff on a scheduled and consistent basis. Counsel, discipline, recommend for promotions or pay increases, and terminate staff as needed and in compliance with Agency policies.
● Develop a positive environment for youth development based on the mission and goals of the Riis Settlement.
● Establish and maintain policies and procedures that ensure the safety and well-being of all members, staff, volunteers, and visitors.
● Establish, implement and evaluate plans to promote the organization and various stakeholders to the community at large.
● Ensure that program staff understands and effectively communicate standards of the program; that they provide safe, functional, clean, and well-lit program areas, and that program equipment are appropriately used and maintained.
● Convene meetings with staff, volunteers/interns, program members, parents, and community residents as needed to assist in program delivery, communicate established policies, and promote a positive environment.
● Develop collaborative relationships with other community-based organizations to enhance program offerings.
● Organize and participate in external special events to promote the Agency's mission and image, cultivate relationships, and generate broad support.
● Complete the minimum training hours as outlined in the New York State School-Age Child Care (SACC) Regulations.
Knowledge, Skills, and Qualifications
● Bachelor's degree from an accredited college in Child Development, Elementary Education, Physical Education- with at least 18 credits in Early Childhood Education Master's degree preferred
● DYCD/Advantage qualifications: meet or exceed all contract requirements, including all data and work scope entries
● School-Age Child Care (SACC) license is a plus.
● Demonstrated skills and competency in youth development program planning and administration, and the ability to supervise multiple staff.
● Leadership skills in conflict intervention, negotiation, decision-making, and delegation.
● Proficient in Microsoft Office applications and Google apps.
● A minimum of three years of professional paid work experience in a non-profit youth or social service agency in an administrative or managerial capacity
Jacob A. Riis Neighborhood Settlement is Western Queens largest independent youth development not-for-profit organization. We operate diverse programs from Cure Violence, Immigrant Services, Senior Services, and Youth Services…