Local UnionRequisition Number:
New York | NY | 10036 | USA
NEWARK | NJ | 07102 | USADescription
The New York New Jersey Regional Joint Board, Workers United a/w SEIU is a strong, progressive Union. We are dedicated to organizing in order to fight and change an unjust economic system.
We're seeking to fill a newly created position that will allow the successful applicant to help shape both this job and the future of the Union. They will use a variety of skills to develop and implement strategic organizing campaigns to help build power with workers. The Strategic Director will work with leaders, staff, workers and community allies to identify and develop organizing opportunities and other opportunities that will build the Union.
This position will be a key member of the Union's senior team and will report to the General Manager/President of the NY NJ Regional Joint Board. The Director shall seek support and appropriate direction from her and other appropriate sources.
This is an opportunity to take the lessons of past organizing while creating and implementing new ideas in a rapidly changing economy. We're eager to hire a creative strategist with organizing experience who can ultimately help lead our Union to success.Responsibilities:
- Design, strategize and help manage and adjust organizing campaigns as approved by the General Manager.
- Initially assess the current campaign(s) and membership base to determine/develop research needs, organizing opportunities, and campaign development.
- Gather information regarding current Union organizing throughout the area that may be relevant to our Union's decisions about where to move forward.
- Work with current and potential members.
- Work with local staff to oversee all aspects of the campaign including vision, strategy, timeline, budget, communication, community outreach, and politics, in conjunction with organizing staff.
- Further identify possible relationship building and cultivation of meaningful collaborations, alongside the Political Director, with potential allies.
- Effectively participate in the recruitment, hiring and supervision of staff.
- Represent the NY NJ Regional Joint Board at local events, community gatherings and workshops and to community leaders, local politicians, and community-based organizations, in conjunction with members, staff and other leaders.
- Must have significant experience with NLRB and/or card check, recognition union campaigns.
- Substantial experience in designing and leading complex campaign strategy and executing campaign plans and tactics.
- Strong leadership ability.
- Goal oriented: With an ability to identify priorities and resources and ensure accountability and timeliness.
- Ability to assess and achieve goals.
- Must be able to handle multiple “priority” projects simultaneously and meet established deadlines.
- A high level of judgment, ability to take initiative and work independently; must be able to work with elected leaders, worker leaders, and staff in complex and sometimes political situations.
- Ability to prepare strategic planning reports and draft budgets.
- Bi-lingual English/Spanish -- strongly preferred.
Compensation and Benefits:
- Fundamentally believes that Unions are critical to changing the balance of power and fighting poverty.
- Critical and strategic thinker.
- Able to work with diverse communities .
- Good relationship builder, both inside and outside the Union.
- Strong communicator.
- Willing and able to work irregular hours as needed.
- Encourages feedback, not judgement.
- Thrives on new ideas, building relationships and taking direct action.
The Joint Board offers a comprehensive benefits package including Union paid individual and family health and dental insurance, life insurance, and pension. There is also an optional employee funded 401K. This position pays between $100,000 and $115,000 per year, depending on experience.
This position is currently a hybrid position, working remotely and in the office, when necessary. Our office functions at the highest level of COVID safety precautions. For remote work it is required that the successful candidate live in the NY Metropolitan area.
The New York New Jersey Regional Joint Board, Workers United a/w SEIU is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage women, people of color, all gender identities, religious affiliations, countries of origin and sexual orientations, to apply.To Apply:
If you are interested and feel you meet both the strategic thinking and Union experience needs of this position, please send your cover letter and resume to Jobs@workersunitednynj.org
. No phone calls please.
<img src="https://www.click2apply.net/v/KMYkRjTgV8awIBebCWDjg" />