The Executive Director is the key management leader of Massachusetts Restaurants United (MRU). The Executive Director is responsible for overseeing the administration, programs and strategic plan of the organization. Other key duties include fundraising, marketing, and community outreach. The position reports directly to the Board of Directors.
Massachusetts Restaurants United (MRU) is a coalition of independent restaurant professionals created to advocate for our industry and to plan solutions to survive, repair and rebuild in the time of COVID-19 and beyond.
1) Board Governance: Works with board in order to fulfill the organization mission.
- Responsible for leading MRU in a manner that supports and guides the organization’s mission as defined by the Board of Directors.
- Responsible for communicating effectively with the Board and providing, in a timely and accurate manner, all information necessary for the Board to function properly and to make informed decisions.
2) Financial Performance and Viability: Develops resources sufficient to ensure the financial health of the organization.
- Responsible for fundraising and developing other revenues necessary to support Massachusetts Restaurants United’s mission and operations.
- Responsible for the fiscal integrity of MRU, to include submission to the Board of a proposed annual budget and monthly financial statements, which accurately reflect the financial condition of the organization.
- Responsible for fiscal management that generally anticipates operating within the approved budget, ensures maximum resource utilization, and maintenance of the organization in a positive financial position.
3) Organization Mission and Strategy: Works with board and staff to ensure that the mission is fulfilled through programs, strategic planning and community outreach.
- Responsible for implementation of MRU’s programs that carry out the organization’s mission.
- Responsible for strategic planning identifying growth opportunities to ensure that MRU can successfully fulfill its Mission into the future.
- Responsible for the enhancement of MRU’s image by being active and visible in the community and by working closely with other professional, civic and private organizations.
4) Organization Operations: Oversees and implements appropriate resources to ensure that the operations of the organization effective
- Responsible for the hiring and retention of competent, qualified contractors such as Social Media Agency
- Responsible for effective administration of Media Communications operations.
- Responsible for running board meetings.
- Responsible for growing Membership Outreach
- Responsible for Policy/ Advocacy Outreach
Public Policy/Advocacy Outreach
· Working with the Board of Directors and Stakeholders, plan and execute federal and state policy priorities
· Testify regularly before state legislative committees to support policies that enhance business growth and development
· Ensure that MRU is represented on relevant statewide task forces, workgroups, committees and coalitions.
Actual Job Responsibilities
- Report to and work closely with the Board of Directors to seek their involvement in policy decisions, fundraising and to increase the overall visibility of the organization.
- Supervise, collaborate with organization staff and Advisory Council
- Strategic planning and implementation.
- Planning and operation of annual budget.
- Serve as MRU’s primary spokesperson to the organization’s constituents, the media and the general public.
- Establish and maintain relationships with various organizations and utilize those relationships to strategically enhance MRU ’s Mission i.e Commonwealth Kitchen, Becma, MRA, NRA and Independent Restaurant Coalition. As well as local charity and state advocacy programs.
- Engage in fundraising and developing other revenues like Membership dues.
- Oversee marketing and other communications efforts with Committee and contracted company
- Oversee organization Board and committee meetings.
- Establish employment and administrative policies and procedures for all functions and for the day-to-day operation of the nonprofit.
- Review and approve contracts for services.
- Other duties as assigned by the Board of Directors.
Professional Qualifications Needed (also placed in the online AD)
- A bachelor’s degree.
- Transparent and high integrity leadership.
- Three or more years senior nonprofit management experience.
- Experience and skill in working with a Board of Directors.
- High level strategic thinking and planning. Ability to envision and convey the organization’s strategic future to the staff, board, volunteers and donors.
- Ability to effectively communicate the organization’s mission to donors, volunteers and the overall community.
- Demonstrated ability to oversee and collaborate with staff.
- A history of successfully generating new revenue streams and improving financial results.
- Active fundraising experience. Excellent donor relations skills and understanding of the funding community.
- Previous success in establishing relationships with individuals and organizations of influence including funders, partner agencies and volunteers.
- Solid organizational abilities, including planning, delegating, program development and task facilitation.
- Strong love for the Hospitality Industry
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Strong public speaking ability.
- Strong work ethic with a high degree of energy.