What do you do all day?
At NMSI, our people mean everything to us. They are the lifeblood of the organization. Without our staff, NMSI is just an idea. This role is responsible for implementing creative, cutting-edge fundraising tactics to engage individuals in the work of NMSI. The Director plans, supports, and executes the cultivation, stewardship and solicitation of annual donors and prospects, including the development of a major gift pipeline. The Director also oversees a team dedicated to grant development and provides quality assurance, donor record management, reporting, and fulfillment.
What are the details?
Annual Giving 75%
• Develop an annual giving strategy that leverages NMSI's programs, board, key executives, and partners
• Develop a diversified annual giving constituency base to include individuals (primarily) and organizations
• Partner with MarCom to develop compelling messaging, proposals, decks, and materials designed for annual giving fundraising
• Manage processes for proposal management and time frames (coordinate 1:1 meetings with CDO and fundraisers); through research, identify prospects, record and submit proposal information in Raiser's Edge and related proposal calendar
• Manage donor stewardship systems that move prospects and donors along a journey with NMSI
• Cultivate and solicit mid-level gifts from prospects by proactively conducting prospect research to surface and qualify likely major gifts prospects for cultivation and solicitation by leadership and the fundraising team
• Understand and use data to provide insights into annual fund management and solicitation messaging.
• Provide input to MarCom team on social media, newsletter, blog and other collateral to ensure more donor-centered content
• Expand opportunities for annual donors to support NMSI, including launching a dedicated monthly giving society, peer-to-peer giving, and facilitating corporate matching gifts
• Plan and execute donor-centered events in key regions, including those that engage key stakeholders of organizational donors/prospects
• Develop, manage and maintain a portfolio of annual giving donors and prospects
• Develop and implement year-round communication programs for all donors
• Support NMSI's Board Development Committee as needed in partnership with the Chief Development Officer
• Through donor research, support the fundraising team and Identify mission-aligned high impact prospects
• Develop donor briefs and resources as needed to support fundraising strategy and efforts
• Audit / ensure systems supporting fundraising efforts are well-managed and kept up to date, including, but not limited to Raiser's Edge, iWave, BidNet
• Utilize Power BI and Raiser’s Edge to prepare fundraising reports and present to the executive team (as needed or periodic) and board (quarterly)
• Provide oversight regarding processes related to fundraising efforts to streamline inter-and intra-team collaboration
• Directly manage the Manager, Development Operations in executing key tasks benefiting fundraising activities
• Other duties as assigned
What are we looking for?
Education & Experience – You have a bachelor’s degree and have worked professionally for at least two years in a fundraising environment. Experience in donor management and reporting systems required. Raiser’s Edge or Power BI is preferred
Inclusive – You can work effectively with people regardless of age, gender, race, sexual orientation, ethnicity, religion or job type—or any other factor that makes us unique!
Organized & Productive – You are a master at planning your day and not letting distractions come in between meeting your goals
Reliable – You can work effectively with minimal supervision, but you also know when to ask for help
Flexible – You are comfortable working in an ambiguous environment with competing priorities; you're willing to travel a few times throughout the year when necessary
Growth Mindset – You learn from failure and crave feedback because you know that it makes you better; you are also not afraid to give feedback to your manager or colleagues
Tech Savvy – You embrace technology as a tool to enhance your work effectiveness but not a tool to replace hard work
What do we offer?
The minimum salary for this position is $92,261, and the salary offer will be commensurate with experience. We take pay equity seriously and work hard to ensure our team members are paid fairly regardless of their gender, race, or other demographic backgrounds. In addition to a competitive salary with the potential for an annual pay increase, we offer a comprehensive total rewards package, including paying roughly 85% of employee-only medical, dental, and vision benefits plus a large portion for dependents. Staff are eligible to participate in 401(k) after 90 days of employment, with up to a 6% employee match, fully vested on day one of participation in the plan. Other benefits for full-time employees include referral and performance-based annual bonuses, telecommunications stipends for eligible remote employees, 14-16 paid holidays annually (including a week-long winter break), and a generous PTO policy starting at 18 days per year. We strive to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff members can show up as their authentic selves, participating in DEI-focused learning opportunities and employee-led affinity groups.
All NMSI employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or secure an approved exemption no later than 45 days from their official start date. Exemption requests will not be accepted or reviewed before an employee’s start date.
Want to learn more?
The National Math and Science Initiative is a national nonprofit organization dedicated to transforming math and science education in today’s classrooms and ensuring that all students have the knowledge and skills to thrive in the global economy of the 21st century. Founded in 2007, NMSI began by dramatically improving student participation and success in rigorous Advanced Placement math, science and English courses in 85 courses across seven states. Today, NMSI has scaled its proven program to serve more than 1.5 million students, 50,000 teachers, 1,000 high schools and 45 universities across 40 states and is having a demonstrable and lasting impact on student outcomes. Go to www.nms.org to learn more.
The organization has reviewed this job description to ensure that essential functions and basic duties have been included. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all functions, responsibilities, skills and abilities. Additional functions and requirements may be assigned by supervisors as deemed appropriate.
National Math + Science Initiative (NMSI) provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. NMSI complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which we have employees. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
What do you do all day?
At NMSI, our people mean everything to us. They are the lifeblood of the organization. Without our staff, NMSI is just an idea. This role is responsible for implementing creative, cutting-edge fundraising tactics to engage…