Role & Responsibilities
Manage Medair AFG WASH projects in Southern Afghanistan, ensure proposal objectives are met within the project timeframe and the overall budget allocated for the project, and that the services delivered meet Medair, donor and international quality standards. Responsibilities also include managing WASH project staff, coordinating with other partners to assess emergencies, contributing to design of new WASH interventions, preparing project reporting as well as planning and supporting the development of new project proposals. Role would also provide project management support to Food Security (FS) activities in same project locations.
Medair Afghanistan has been operating since 1996 and currently works in three provinces: Daykundi, Uruzgan and Kandahar, with a country office in Kabul. Medair implements WASH, FS, Health and Nutrition programming to address growing humanitarian needs. Typical WASH responses include construction of municipal scale water distribution networks, community protected springs, and integrated multi-sectoral hygiene behaviour change. FS responses are predominantly based on cash-assistance and do not include agricultural or livelihood activities.
Workplace & Working Conditions
Field based position in Kandahar, Afghanistan with regular travel to field locations in Uruzgan.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
February 2022. Full time, 12-24 months.
Key Activity Areas
Technical Design and Oversight
- Ensure project monitoring is conducted according to project plans. Support agreed quality monitoring activities to meet relevant guidelines and standards, in coordination with WASH and FS Advisor.
- Coordinate contracts for sub-contracted WASH work (in liaison with WASH Advisor and logistics) and follow-up with day to day management/supervision of contract implementation.
- Contribute towards continual improvement of processes and implementation of WASH and FS activities, including development of standard operating procedures.
- Ensure project is implemented according to agreed standards and practices for WASH and Cash and Voucher Assistance (CVA).
- Oversee implementation of beneficiary selection processes and cash distributions according to standards and plans, in coordination with relevant colleagues for security management, financial management, and technical advisor.
- Ensure that appropriate indicators are collected and evaluation assessments conducted against project monitoring plans, in coordination with MEAL Manager.
- Coordinate sectoral needs assessment activities and contribute to planning and implementation.
- Be responsible for the implementation, management, supervision, and support of the assigned WASH & FS activities in line with the project plan and time frame of the relevant project proposal(s).
- Provide input into the integration of beneficiary participation and AAP in the project activities.
- Develop National staff at Managerial level to build capacity and experience in Project Management and reporting.
- Ensure accurate and timely reporting of activities for internal and external reports (e.g., monthly, quarterly, and final reports).
- Input into the development of the country strategy, new projects and/or donor proposals.
- Ensure data collection is conducted according to project plans, and uploaded or provided in a timely manner.
- Contribute to database management and data security. Contribute to ongoing refinement of data tools as necessary.
- Facilitate and support training of staff to ensure proper use of data management collection devices and tools.
- Line-manage staff of the assigned project(s), including day-to-day management, recruitment, development and training, performance reviews, etc. Facilitate regular meetings to assist information sharing between project staff, to ensure all staff members are aware of project objectives and current work plans and to provide the opportunity for feedback.
- Provide coaching & supervision to staff to develop their leadership skills and implementation of project activities.
Communication and Coordination
- Develop appropriate, regular, transparent and supportive communication structures with the assigned team, Medair in-country and GSO advisors to ensure good partnerships.
- Participate in coordination meetings, representing Medair and feeding back to staff and field managers on relevant issues.
- Liaise with the WASH and FS Advisor for project updates, reporting and for all technical support on project implementation.
- Develop and maintain procurement plans based on project log frame and activities.
- In close coordination with Logistics, ensure clear communication with the logistics team on issues relating to procurement, transportation of cargo and supplies Monitor stock levels, expiry dates, and submit stock and purchase requests with accurate specification. Ensure an accurate record of all assets and stock at warehouse.
- Ensure the ordered items are to the standards and specification before final delivery to the field warehouse, including coordinating quality checks as required.
- Manage the budget for the assigned project(s) and ensure all expenses are according to budget and meet the Medair standards with regard to financial management, including accountability and good governance. Conduct regular financial checks to enable forecast of under or over-spend on project; raise these occurrences to Project Coordinator, technical advisor etc.
- Support the team where needed in the selection, the set-up and management of cash assistance modalities for the project, in alignment with sector standards of the concerned financial service providers. Supervise the management of field team budget and cash, including the payment of casual labour payments within the agreed salary/incentive scales.
- Manage submission of all finance, stock and purchase requests to field, and manage procurement, warehousing, and transport at field sites. Ensure cash requests are submitted to the PC in a timely manner, and cash needs forecasts are passed onto the PC. Ensure that receipts and field expense reports are returned consistently and are in good order.
- Contribute to development of security assessments for new locations before field teams travel. Monitor local dynamics in intervention locations and escalate concerns which may be indicators of insecurity.
- Ensure the WASH and FS teams adhere to SOPs, and understand updated security protocols and information before any travel or field activities are undertaken.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- University degree in a field relevant to WASH (eg. civil engineering, hydraulic engineering, environmental engineering, public health, water and sanitation engineering, hydrogeology/hydrology).
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
- 5 years post-qualification professional experience in a relevant field as a manager.
- Technical experience with WASH infrastructure (e.g. hydraulic design borehole installation, hand pump repair,) and software/training (behaviour change communication).
- Understanding and appreciation of the links between the hardware (water, sanitation facilities) and behaviour change.
- Knowledge of humanitarian principles, Sphere Standards and other international humanitarian guidelines and protocols.
- Desire to contribute to the team and foster unity. Diplomatic and sensitive to cross cultural issues.
All new deploying international staff to Medair’s country programmes (and other roles which require field travel) should be fully vaccinated with a WHO-approved COVID vaccine, supported with a COVID vaccination certificate as evidence.