Founded in 2005, Community Youth Advance (founded as Mentoring to Manhood) was established to address the needs of Black boys in Prince George’s communities. Starting with Saturday one-to-one mentoring, programming grew over the years, adding tutoring, afterschool programming, and family support services. Today, Community Youth Advance serves more than 650 children and youth each year throughout Prince George's County and Washington DC during the school year and summer. Our mission is to harness the power of community to Teach, Reach and Keep youth on the path to success.
Community Youth Advance seeks a creative, energetic, and experienced youth development professional to oversee and implement essential youth programs for black and brown males throughout greater Prince George’s County and Washington, DC.
This role integrates youth development strategies throughout programming to support social emotional and academic needs. The youth program specialist also supports and works directly with elementary and middle school attendance re-engagement.
The program specialist reports to the are responsible for facilitating youth programming for young men in grades 7 – 12 to learn critical skills make responsible decisions for their future, and become leaders of their schools and communities working directly with school teams and families in full partnership with the larger Community Youth Advance Teams. This role assures programs and supports are strength-based, student-centered, and consistently exhibit culturally competent values to activate the agency of youth voice. The Youth Program Specialist will support young men in the program to identify and activate their values and the abilities they need to develop into healthy, responsible young men and thrive.
Essential Duties/ Responsibilities:
- Work in collaboration with school administration to build relationships with up to 60 school -based youth
- Lead and facilitate 4 – 5 weekly groups during the school day, after school, and Saturdays utilizing youth engagement leading up to the rites of passage skills when they graduate.
- Provide individualized coaching and supports to all participants to create pathways planning
- Participate in monthly staff development training and team meetings on the lessons and other topics relevant to working with youth
- Participate in supervision and coaching to ensure fidelity of program delivery
- Work jointly with the Program Leadership to manage an annual program budget to plan and execute field trips and special events for students throughout the school year and summer
Program Management and Facilitation
- Implements and monitors high-quality youth mentoring, re-engagement, and skill-building programming
- Coordinates and leads youth development centric out-of-school time and summer curriculum that includes academic support, social-emotional skill building, exploration days, and hands-on activities
- Implements and facilitates the matching process for mentor/mentees relationship based on processes
- Provides cohort-level and individualized coaching for mentors to better support and build relationships with their mentees.
- Creates and coordinates meeting opportunities for mentor/mentee pairings to increase program participation.
- Manage and support satellite programming at locations to ensure quality youth programming
- Works with program leadership to establish curriculum goals and focus
- Implement corresponding lesson plans and activities
- Identifies partnerships to address curriculum content fully
- Facilitates weekly engaging program activities and discussions
- Tracks participant attendance and engagement in program activities
- Monitors participant engagement their developmental progress and adjusts program activities accordingly
- Assists with the development and administration of program evaluation tools (e.g. surveys, questionnaires etc.)
- Works with and supports volunteers with program facilitation
- Lead targeted support for pairs to ensure they meet programmatic outcomes and participation requirements
- Meet and communicate regularly with school administrative teams to build relationships
- Work with participants to create Action Plans and establish related objectives
- Supports and works with school teams to increase student engagement to achieve developmental, academic, and personal goals
- Initiate school-based activities to increase attendance and engagement within Community Youth Advance programming
- Establish and maintain communication with other stakeholders in participants’ lives
- Participate in weekly team meetings; discuss school caseloads, receive team input, and receive supervision from trained therapists
- Track and report on meetings held, case notes, and participant goals in CRM
- Advance the ongoing mission of Community Youth Advance to serve as a representative of the organization in the larger community
- Exhibit strong communication and team skills for individual and team progress.
- Build and maintain relationships with the external Community Youth Advance stakeholders
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in education, social work, youth development or related field
- At least three years of experience working directly with youth in an out of school time academic and youth development setting is required
- Experience directly managing staff, interns and volunteers
- Experience in community building, mentoring program implementation, and youth development facilitation
- Implementation of a mentoring program, a plus
- Strong skills in planning, organizing, and attention to detail, with exceptional written and oral communication
- Ability to engage and build relationships with hard-to-reach youth communicate effectively with participants’ families Attention to detail
- Strong organizational skills with integrity, passion, and commitment to the Community Youth Advance mission
- Flexibility with changing situations and ability to work in ambiguity
Additional Information: Community Youth Advance physical offices are currently hybrid with in-person programming.
This position requires a criminal background check prior to hire, and the candidate must be able to pass all additional clearance requirements as mandated by school districts and state/local municipalities. Community Youth Advance pays for all clearance steps for its employees.