Care For the Homeless is seeking Nurse Practitioners!
Care For the Homeless (CFH) is a growing not-for-profit health care and social service agency that serves the homeless population of New York City. CFH provides medical, podiatry, behavioral and oral health services through Article 28 health centers at shelters, soup kitchens, and drop-in centers throughout NYC and operates 2 transitional residences for homeless women, as well as advocating for policies to end homelessness.
SUMMARY: Reports to the collaborating physician at the contracted facility.
This employee will work as part of the PCMH team with the following essential duties and responsibilities:
- Participates as a member of committees, including peer review, as requested by the CMO
- Chart completion is consistent with CFH P/P
- Reaches out and engages clients with appropriate concern for their health and other needs
- Obtains health histories, performs physical examinations and screenings, including testing for HIV on site
- Assesses and treats common, acute and chronic illnesses, including HIV/AIDS (in accordance with approved protocols); refers clients when necessary to provider's facility or other appropriate facility; follows up on such referrals
- Conducts health screening services
- Makes every effort to provide and assure on‑going medical service including a continuum of care for persons with HIV/AIDS
- Advises and counsels clients about their physical and mental health
- Provides consultation and training to on‑site staff and volunteers where appropriate
- Assists with the identification, counseling and care coordination, with case management and health education, of mental health and substance abuse problems
- Works in a non-traditional environment; e.g., non-clinic facility where homeless people congregate
- Board Certified
- New York State Nurse Practitioner License
- Commitment to serving the underprivileged
- Flexible and ability to function in a nontraditional setting