POSITION SUMMARY Quanta Magazine
seeks an accomplished graphics editor to direct and develop science infographics, data visualizations, interactive graphics and other visual explainers. In addition to working closely with the magazine's editors, art director and reporters in conceptualizing, researching and designing graphics in support of Quanta
's articles, the graphics editor will lead standalone visual explainer projects, some of which may involve assigning and overseeing the work of freelance artists, photographers and interactive designers.
The ideal candidate will be an experienced, creative, detail-oriented science visualizer and graphics editor with impeccable news judgment and exceptionally high standards in journalistic ethics and scientific accuracy. A refined sense of design and illustration is required, as is a great enthusiasm for the potential of the online medium to communicate ideas.
This full-time position will report to the Art Director and is based at the Simons Foundation offices in New York City.ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS/RESPONSIBILITIES
- Collaborate with the editorial, art and web staffs to research, design and create science infographics, charts, maps, and data visualizations to illustrate Quanta's articles.
- Collaborate with interactive designers to create interactive infographics and data visualizations.
- Lead larger standalone visual explainer projects, some of which may involve assigning and overseeing the work of freelance artists, animators, and interactive designers.
- Procuring permissions and adapting graphics from science journals.
- Prepare graphics, including file formatting, for web (desktop and mobile) publication.
- Maintaining and monitoring Quanta's infographics style, aesthetic and scientific standards.
- Collaborate with the Art Director to create and maintain a graphics style guide.
REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS
- At least 5 years' experience as a graphics editor, data visualizer or interactive designer, preferably at or for an established newspaper, magazine or news website, with a proven track record of conceiving, researching and creating impactful visual science explainers.
- Must be detail-oriented and highly organized, with strong project management skills, and demonstrate the highest standards of written English and visual communication.
- Must be an excellent communicator and team player and have the ability to coordinate graphics production with editors, reporters and the art staff.
ABOUT QUANTAQuanta Magazine
- Rsum and cover letter
- Three references
- 10 graphics/data visualization work samples
is an award-winning, editorially independent online publication launched by theSimons Foundationto enhance public understanding of science. Our reporters and editors focus on developments in mathematics, theoretical physics, theoretical computer science and the basic life sciences, with an emphasis on delivering timely, accurate, in-depth and well-crafted articles for our broad, discerning audience. In addition to winning awards and accolades for its science writing, Quanta
is a 2020 finalist for a National Magazine Award for general excellence. Quanta
has syndication partnerships with Wired
, The Atlantic
, Scientific American
, The Washington Post
and other publications, has published two books (Alice and Bob Meet the Wall of Fire
and The Prime Number Conspiracy
) and our articles have been translated into several languages.The Simons Foundation's Diversity Commitment
Many of the greatest ideas and discoveries come from a diverse mix of minds, backgrounds and experiences, and we are committed to cultivating an inclusive work environment. The Simons Foundation actively seeks a diverse applicant pool and encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply. We provide equal opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, age, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic disposition, neurodiversity, disability, veteran status or any other protected category under federal, state and local law.
<img src="https://www.click2apply.net/v/BXZg55fbpnn4UnN6uqD42" />