This Job can be worked out of any of our regional offices in Oakland, Los Angeles, New Orleans, Denver, or District of Columbia. Visit here to apply to our other regions.
The Financial Planning & Analysis Manager holds a key role on the College Track Finance team and will be responsible for owning aspects of the budgeting, forecasting, and analysis process, building financial models, supporting budget owners in creating their budgets and updating forecasts, leading and supporting in areas of budgeting, forecasting, reporting, ad-hoc analyses, and cost-saving opportunities, and facilitating strategic and tactical decision-making. The successful candidate will be highly collaborative, have strong communication skills, possess advanced skills in excel, and be comfortable working with complex financial data sets with in-depth knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) and SaaS financial reporting systems. The position reports to the Vice President of Finance. The ideal candidate enjoys working cross-functionally, is able to balance “getting things done” with connecting with people, and is able to delve deeply into details at times while also having the ability to step out of the weeds to see the broader picture to have strategic conversations and creatively approach problem-solving. We seek a finance professional who sees themselves as a true finance business partner in a mission-driven education nonprofit.
Primary Responsibilities Include:
- Partner with budget owners to establish budgets and build forecasts
- Serve as the end-to-end finance partner with budget owners to prepare the site, region, and/or national department budgets; ensure budgeted goals are met; coordinate budget revisions; and build forecasts
- Analyze monthly budget-actual results and forecasts across the organization and provide summarized reports to budget owners as needed
- Support the annual budgeting process including but not limited to providing analytics/metrics to facilitate target-setting and related decision-making, producing online and offline reports for budget owners, and producing reports for inclusion in the board presentation deck
- Work cross-functionally with budget owners to provide general guidance and transactional information, where needed, to update ongoing forecasts. Includes areas of head-count/payroll and non-payroll variable expenses plus reasonableness checks on fixed expenses
- Build and Maintain Dashboards/Reporting/Models
- Owns, builds, and maintain models, reports, dashboards, KPIs, and predictive analytics to provide visibility into the financial impact of strategic decisions and to identify issues affecting the organization’s operations, cash position, and capital expenditure
- Be adept at complex financial modeling in excel and in translating business strategy into actionable financial models, data, and outcomes
- Support the preparation of financial reports for internal and external audiences (i.e. budget owners, donors, etc.) using business judgment where needed
- Optimize FP&A Process and Reporting Functionality
- Identify and recommend areas for process improvement/innovation/automation to improve overall department effectiveness and efficiency
- Share maintenance responsibilities for budgeting software including formula adjustments, updating account mapping, updating personnel and fixed assets sheets for proper projection of payroll and depreciation
- Collaborate with the accounting team and other departments to streamline integration and finance processes
- Work closely with accounting staff to take part in the close process including loading actuals into forecasts
- Ad-hoc Analyses and Projects
- Perform ad-hoc financial analyses to drive organizational decision-making
- Manage and support nonprofit fund, government, and grant accounting and reporting in close collaboration with the finance/accounting, development, and program teams
Skills & Experience Required
First and foremost, the Finance Manager must embrace the College Track vision of transforming low-income communities into places where college readiness and college graduation are the norms. Additionally, candidates must possess the following qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree in Finance, Accounting, Mathematics, or related field required. CPA or Master’s preferred.
- Minimum 6 years of progressive experience in financial planning and analysis.
- Expert knowledge of MS Excel and database skills required. Familiarity with Adaptive Planning and Intacct is a plus.
- Excellent strategic planning and financial modeling skills
- A high degree of competency in math and critical thinking with exceptional organizational skills.
- Operates with a high sense of urgency and responsiveness balanced by a need for providing accurate information based on strategic priorities.
- Extremely detail-oriented, well-organized, and structured in the creation and presentation of information. Ability to synthesize complex financial matters into clearly articulated financial and business summaries, with not only the "rolled up" numbers but also the explanation/narrative about the business implications.
- Ability to manage multiple time-sensitive projects simultaneously
; Uses sound judgment to prioritize and meet deadlines, copes well with change, and maintains composure under pressure
- Exceptional communication skills with a demonstrable ability to write effectively, speak persuasively and listen attentively. Can distill complex financial matters into digestible elements.
- Is obsessively customer-driven -- believing that a good finance partner understands both the explicit and underlying business needs, is proactive, stays on point for strategic value-add, and is responsive without being unproductively reactive to team-member and external-party needs.
- A high degree of flexibility and adaptability; can work within an ambitious, fast-moving environment, while also driving toward clarity and solution.
- Is accountable for results approaches obstacles proactively and looks for ways to resolve issues
College Track requires that the holder of this position be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, as defined by the CDC. College Track will require proof of vaccination from each current and future employee.
Compensation & Benefits
College Track offers a competitive, region-specific, salary based on the organization’s compensation philosophy, which is grounded in market data. We also offer comprehensive health & welfare benefits and top-of-the-market paid time off.
Please upload a PDF resume and thoughtful cover letter with your application. We will only contact candidates chosen for further consideration. No phone inquiries, please.
College Track works to remove barriers for first-generation college students on their journey to college completion. Our commitment to removing barriers for first-generation college students doesn't stop when college ends. While we hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, we especially encourage applicants who identify as first-generation college graduates to apply for open opportunities on staff.
College Track is an equal opportunity employer fully committed to achieving a diverse workforce. College Track does not discriminate on the basis of race, age, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, or gender identity or expression.