The National Endowment for Democracy (NED), a federally funded, private, nonprofit grant making organization that works to support freedom around the world, seeks a Senior Systems Security Engineer to work in the Knowledge Management & IT Department. This position is based in Washington, D.C.
The Senior Systems Security Engineer (SSSE) is responsible for ensuring the stability, integrity, and security of all voice and data network services. This is achieved by architecting, planning, designing, implementing, maintaining, and monitoring Software as a Service (SaaS) platforms, local area networks (LANs), wide area networks (WANs), and enterprise systems. The SSSE also provides support to IT analysts and end users as required along with other duties as assigned.
- Collaborate with Technical Director to assess near- and long-term network and system security needs.
- Create and maintain documentation as it relates to the security of network and system configuration, processes, and service records.
- Architect, engineer, implement, and monitor security measures for the protection of systems, networks, and data including:
- Performing security audits of LANs, WANs, servers, and remote access.
- Regular monitoring and auditing all NED systems for evidence of unauthorized access and/or activity.
- Performing forensics on security incidents.
- Write comprehensive reports including assessment-based findings, outcomes, and propositions for further system security incidents.
- Define, implement, and mange, the security incident response process, in accordance with policy and in conjunction with the appropriate IT staff.
- Identify and define system and network security requirements.
- Design system/network security architecture and develop detailed security designs.
- Prepare and document standard operating procedures and protocols related to digital security.
- Develop technical solutions and new security tools to help mitigate security vulnerabilities.
- Ensure the organization knows as much as possible, as quickly as possible, about security incidents.
- Conduct research on enterprise products, services, protocols, and standards.
- Work in conjunction with the Technical Director and other IT staff to ensure adequate segregation of duties in the performance of security-related tasks and assignments.
- Provide input and guidance into the security training given to NED staff.
- Provide guidance and mentorship to junior members of the IT team.
- Attend training, conferences, and/or events to stay abreast of new technologies.
- Minimum 4 years’ proven working experience in architecting, building, maintaining, and securing digital systems.
- Detailed technical knowledge of securing database, network, operating system, and software as a service platform.
- Hands-on experience in securing systems including firewalls, intrusion detection systems/intrusion prevention systems (IDS/IPS), network monitoring, anti-virus software, authentication systems, log management, content filtering, application whitelisting, etc.
- Experience with network technologies and with system, security, and network monitoring tools.
- Other Qualifications:
- Thorough understanding of the latest security principles, techniques, and protocols.
- Familiarity with web related technologies (web applications, web services, service-oriented architectures) and network/web related protocols.
- Experience with systems administration.
- Knowledge or fluency in additional languages is a plus.
- Authorized to work in the United States.
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to present ideas in user-friendly language.
- Highly self-motivated and directed.
- Organized with keen attention to detail.
- Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Leadership skills.
- Able to effectively prioritize tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- Proven ability to develop standards and procedures.
This position is part of the NED Bargaining Unit.
Applications must include a cover letter, resume, desired salary, and contact information for three professional references, of which one should be a supervisor. Please, no phone call inquiries. For more information, please visit our website at www.ned.org or email@example.com.
The NED is an Equal Opportunity Employer.